audiophiles or ethusiast, PLEASE help me out here!

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
hi,

not exactly an audiophile so i'm realli noob at speakers terminology. Recently i've been doing lots of reading on 2.1 speakers because i wan to get the best one i can find for my budget.

After tons of reviews reading etc.. i realised there's well over a dozen of commonly used term that i do not understand. but the main few i would like to know are these:

- whats the difference of total RMS and normal power (both in Watt)
- What EXACTLY are mids and highs?
- does the tweeks of a speaker help in sound CLARITY?
- What do u tweak in the equalizer to adjust mids
- really technical to me: Whats a 6th order bandpass box

The 1st two qns are the ones i'm dying to know. really appreciate if u guys can help me out.[/LIST]

PLEASE DUN MAKE THIS THREAD INTO A, "RECOMMEND SPEAKER" THREAD. IF U DUNNO DUN ANSWER not trying to be rude but i think u understand what i mean ;) THANKS!!

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
sorry, im a bit out of touch myself, however mid's and highs relate to the mid and high frequencies in the human hearing range.

high's are ones usually over 1 khz or something similar and mids are usally around 200-1khz. thatr might be way off but it gives you an idea.

You don't need to worry about the power rating too much, just remember that RMS is better than peak power. this link explains in more detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

Tweeters on speakers do help with clarity as instead of all the frequncies being output by the one speaker the high frequencies are filtered out and played through the tweeters giving the mids and highs more definition.

a good pair of speakers shouldn't need tweaking but to adjust mids just look for the middle of the EQ band.

the last one i have no idea. look up wikipedia. or maybe try out www.avforums.com

ericlw

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
- whats the difference of total RMS and normal power (both in Watt)

MOST stuff is quoted in peak power to make their power ratings really high. Usually this is done at once frequency.
RMS power is the average power across the entire frequency range. more accurate.

- What EXACTLY are mids and highs?
a high is a the tweeter.
if you have 3 speakers in one cabnet low mid high the mid size speaker is what your asking about.if you only have 2 speakers in the cabnet usually the larger one is mid range.

- does the tweeks of a speaker help in sound CLARITY?
huh? no such think as a tweek. usually sound clarity is achieved by speaker and amplifier quality. either effects both.

- What do u tweak in the equalizer to adjust mids
the mid range frquency.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Go to a public library and there are lots of books to read about audio_One fast answer is midrange is at least 80% of the music.Highs and bass equal the 100% left.