Australian Scientists Create Bionic Eye Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Still a long way off but they're slowly getting closer to an effective artificial eye, improved a helluva lot since some of the original designs.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]This is amazing. Going blind is my greatest fear. I'd rather die.By 2015... maybe I won't have to be afraid anymore.[/citation]
Spending big $$ for a few pixels via invasive brain surgery isn't exactly a "no worry" scenario.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
this reminds me of that woman who had something similar done a few years ago. It sort of works but the implant doesnt give them sight as we know it it lets them see a set of pixels 4x4 that are either white or black. So they can see the sun if they are looking right at it but its a full white flash. They were saying on the science channel that the scientist who invented the idea had plans to go to a 64x64matrix that also did color but that was much further in the future. The woman who got the implant is now screwed because the implant started having problems and the doctor got in trouble for implanting it (he was in like sweden or austria) so he wont help her with another operation to fix his frankenstinish work.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]This is amazing. Going blind is my greatest fear. I'd rather die.By 2015... maybe I won't have to be afraid anymore.[/citation]My cousin's friend is blind and uses Facebook all the time.. had some type of interface. He say's it's the best thing that has happened to him. He has completely changed his lifestyle around spiritually and says he can hear and smell things he has never before. Doesn't sound all that bad! Who knows.. maybe he will see again.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]fishhead565[/nom]One more step to becoming an android ... awesomeness, wonder what this tech will be like in fifty years[/citation]Nano-physics/science WILL be the future.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]lukeeu[/nom]Spending big $$ for a few pixels via invasive brain surgery isn't exactly a "no worry" scenario.[/citation]
Vision is priceless. What good is money and lifestyle without the ability to see?

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Vision is priceless. What good is money and lifestyle without the ability to see?[/citation]
yea, what else would you spend your money on? radios? scent candles? now you can watch HDTV or play crysis at an amazing 16i resolution!
but seriously, i am sure it would be nice to not rely on a dog or stick to move around. i would get it if i was blind.

G

"Spending big $$ for a few pixels via invasive brain surgery isn't exactly a "no worry" scenario."

Not big $$ if your country has universal healthcare!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
cool! I hope it glows red!

so the camera is in some glasses, which transmits to the processor in your pocket, which transmits to your eye sockets? thats awesome! please tell me its wireless! you could put the glasses anywhere!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Striate[/nom]"Spending big $$ for a few pixels via invasive brain surgery isn't exactly a "no worry" scenario."Not big $$ if your country has universal healthcare![/citation]
Yay Canada!

My left eye seems to be slowing getting worse (decent for now still), so I like this idea. =D
I remember watching a documentary on something like this a couple years back. The picture was absolutely horrible (you could tell the difference between the ground and the sky, not much more).

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]This is amazing. Going blind is my greatest fear. I'd rather die.By 2015... maybe I won't have to be afraid anymore.[/citation]
...I second that!

G

this is exactly what my teacher's brother does for a living. very interesting walking into their refridgerator to find it's full of eyeballs @_@

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Are school administrators allowed to take snapshots every 5 minutes if they don't know where that person is because they had to use the restroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.