Auvio Soundbar Connecting to Yamaha Receiver - No Sound

Thegentlelynx

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
How do I hook up my Auvio sound bar to my Yamaha Rxv673 receiver?
I have all my components, such as computer, playstation 2, WII, Blu Ray DVD, cable, and TV connected through my Yamaha RXV673 receiver?

The TV does not require the receiver in order to have sound, which is good. When the receiver is on, the sound switches accordingly to the receiver.

I've tried using Optical and the RCA jacks but cannot get sound. The short guide for the Auvio says when using Optical, set your audio to PCM but I am not able to figure out how to do this.

I replaced two bookshelf speakers that simply attached to the speaker jacks and worked with no issue except lame sound.

The tuner will play through the sound bar as far as I can tell by the static, but no sound from TV or DVD. I'm certainly no expert and I tend to think I'm missing something simple with my Yamaha receiver. Ideas???

Thanks

Solution
I don't think your receiver has any optical audio outputs so it can't send audio to the soundbar via optical. It seems to have an analog audio output that should work if your soundbar has analog input.
As iam2thecrowe says the soundbar connected to the receiver only uses the receiver as a switcher. If the sound of the speakers was not right for you better speakers make more sense. Use the old ones in the rear as surrounds.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
Dont know why you bought a soundbar if you have a decent receiver and speakers, but they are not designed to be passed through a receiver, then output to soundbar. Should just hook it up to the audio digital or analog out on your tv, thats how it should be used.

I don't think your receiver has any optical audio outputs so it can't send audio to the soundbar via optical. It seems to have an analog audio output that should work if your soundbar has analog input.
As iam2thecrowe says the soundbar connected to the receiver only uses the receiver as a switcher. If the sound of the speakers was not right for you better speakers make more sense. Use the old ones in the rear as surrounds.

Solution