AVG 0cx0000005 error help again please!

Twinkielol

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
So I did another post on an issue I was having with AVG and someone recommended changing to Avast but I was thinking I would like to stay with AVG if possible, I am familiar with it and I do like it. But for some reason on my pc and I've seen it happen to many others, it just KEEPS finding new things to block in someway which always causes the 0cx0000005 error code.

Does anyone know specifically why AVG causes this error? Is there a way to fix it?

Also, because it keeps doing it to new things I've had to just straight up add my C:\ drive to the exceptions list and it's fixed the problem on all my programs... But what I need to know is is whether there is a downside to doing this? Will it no longer identify or find viruses in the C:\ drive if I scan it or if something does try to infect my computer? Or does it just simply exclude the programs already in there and whatnot as okay?

Please please please help me with this it's very frustrating... I'm not sure how I feel about Avast, I installed it but saw a lot of bad reviews about it and bitdefender so I went back to AVG and would like to fix this issue.

Solution
Well, to be honest your recommendation from someone else isn't that far reached.

I would simply uninstall it, and re-install something else that works, regardless of how easy AVG is to use, or that you like it - maybe its better to be practical.

Regarding the specific error, I would suggest only AVG can tell you why it's consistently throwing up errors at you.

Having made the exception to allow all of your C drive, that would not be such a good idea. What if you had a virus or something on the C: drive you've just allowed it free access with the exception. I would change that rule immediately.

As for which other software might be best. Its a difficult one. AVG is supposed to be the best free one. But there are many out there. The...

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Well, to be honest your recommendation from someone else isn't that far reached.

I would simply uninstall it, and re-install something else that works, regardless of how easy AVG is to use, or that you like it - maybe its better to be practical.

Regarding the specific error, I would suggest only AVG can tell you why it's consistently throwing up errors at you.

Having made the exception to allow all of your C drive, that would not be such a good idea. What if you had a virus or something on the C: drive you've just allowed it free access with the exception. I would change that rule immediately.

As for which other software might be best. Its a difficult one. AVG is supposed to be the best free one. But there are many out there. The bottom line is: as free Anti Virus, they are all limited, and you will only get the virus scanner and some pointless tools. The full version of AVG and AVAST or any other package will most likely work flawlessly.

Research a little more on what you feel is appropriate, and don't pay too much heed to reviews. There'll always be some who like it and some who don't.

Solution

Twinkielol

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
Well, I had an issue with Avast slowing my pc down. Norton and Mcafee or absolute garbage and I won't ever touch those again. BitDefender seems to be the most highly rated one yet someone who lives with my friend gets insane amounts of viruses and that's what he uses, but then again who knows what websites he goes to.

What is your personal preference? I did like Avast's layout it looked quite nice but as I said it was kind of boggy and people say it's virus database is bad. I just need some pointers... I was thinking about Panda or Avira

I want to know WHY the heck AVG started doing this, been using it for 8 years and never had an issue until a few months ago. Now it just wants to block everything and nothing changed on my end, I only use this pc for gaming and editing and I even did a full HDD wipe including removing all established partitions and just reinstalled everything yet it's still doing it. AVG won't do customer support with anyone who isn't using a paid product of theirs, I already tried and it said they only help people with a paid product -_-' that's rude. lol and my friends have the same programs I do and aren't having issues with it.

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I've been seeing this also. The only thing I could think of was the Steam Workshop. It allows modding your game and either modders are doing it in a questionable way, or they are just plain trying to hack the computer through mods.

Just a guess of course. But I've been hit by gaming mods hacking my machine in the past.