Backdoor Trojan virus removal help- network virus?

Bb7304

Prominent
May 30, 2017
I got a trojan backdoor virus on my laptop. I called the online helpdesk because it's a new computer and they are telling me that it is a network virus. How do I get rid of it?
Thanks!!

Solution

Malwarebytes.

The unwanted popup is the issue, not a 'backdoor trojan', or 'network virus'.

Consider this scenario:

I have a WiFi blocker device.
I walk around your neighborhood with it on. Official looking shirt with nametag.
Knock on your door.
"Sir, there have been a LOT of reports of wifi outages in your area. Are you currently experiencing any problems?"
'YES!!! My WiFi just stopped working'
"No problem. $175, and we can fix you right up"
'Yes please! I have to finish this presentation for tomorrow morning'

You pay me.

I...

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. You seemingly have a trojan.
How did you determine this?

2. Who, exactly did you call?
Some screen popped up, telling you that there is a trojan, and a phone number to call?

That popup thing is the malware.
You do not have a virus (well, mostly not), and there is no 'network virus'.

That popup you saw is a scam, to scare you into calling them, and paying them money to fix a non-issue.

Bb7304

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Ok lol...i kinda wondered. I ran a couple free scans one through Reimage and one through Plumbytes and they are both saying I have malware though. So do you have a recommendation of what I should do?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Malwarebytes.

The unwanted popup is the issue, not a 'backdoor trojan', or 'network virus'.

Consider this scenario:

I have a WiFi blocker device.
I walk around your neighborhood with it on. Official looking shirt with nametag.
Knock on your door.
"Sir, there have been a LOT of reports of wifi outages in your area. Are you currently experiencing any problems?"
'YES!!! My WiFi just stopped working'
"No problem. $175, and we can fix you right up"
'Yes please! I have to finish this presentation for tomorrow morning'

You pay me.

I come in, sit at your PC. You log me in.
I bring up the Event Viewer, with a LOT of scary looking lines in the log.
Thousands of them.

"See? Here is the problem sir. Just let me log on to our corporate server, and run a scan from our secured server"
(here, I run a script that grabs all your username/passwords, search history, racy pics of your spouse...)
(reach into my pocket, and turn my jammer off)
"All fixed. Now, for an additional $60/month, we can give you "WiFi insurance", so that this will never happen again. Guaranteed."

It works exactly like this, but instead of 'your neighborhood', they just log in remotely.

Solution
pc users should have anti virus software installed. make sure you have one. also run malwarebytes or hitman pro scan once a month to get garbage that anti virus miss. today virus writers now use a lot of free programs to drop in unwanted stuff on people pc. also programs now like flash also want you to add unneeded stuff so when installing anything read what it dropping. on your problem look at what was last installed. it may be a dropper program for more junk.