Backlight, Inverter, or Both?

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Hey Guys,

Was hoping that someone has experienced this before, or had experience with the LCD problem described below;

I have a dell inspiron 1150 which i believe has a bad backlight, inverter, or both. I know that I should probably buy both items instead of hoping its one or the other, but I wanted to ask you which component do you think may have failed based on the following information:

Just after powering on the laptop I can see the Dell loading screen with a red tint for about 1 second before the screen goes black. Everytime I cycle through Function + F8 it works just fine when connected to an external monitor, but when switching the video signal back to the LCD on the laptop I see whatever is on the screen for only about 1 second in a reddish tint again and then the screen goes black.

What would be your opinion as to the precise problem? I am curious because I figured that perhaps it is the inverter since if it was the bulb, it would either turn on or not work at all. It wouldn't turn on for a second and then shut off again unless it was a problem with the inverter, no?

I guess I am asking for a technical explanation in case anyone knew exactly why this would occur.

Thanks! ;)