Dudeacus720

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
Hi all,
I have recently bought an Alienware 17 and I have been getting a few BSODs with bad_pool_header. event viewer shows up error 1001 under bugcheck a couple times and ive ran the dump files under who crashed and it has given these few reports:

On Sat 20/02/2016 17:18:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022016-12500-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: storport.sys (storport!RaidStartIoPacket+0x3E1)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFE0003D312980, 0xFFFFE0003D312A40, 0xC0C0001)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\storport.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Storage Port Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

And previously I have had this one:

On Tue 09/02/2016 23:04:36 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020916-12296-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: iastora.sys (iaStorA+0xC90CC)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFD00027191000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800202690CC)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iastora.sys
product: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iastora.sys (Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

they may be related but wanted to see if someone knows a concrete answer (if there is one)

Many Thanks
Specs:
Windows 10
i7-6700HQ @2.60GHz
8GB RAM
256GB SSD (BOOT) and 1TB HDD (SECONDARY)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all updates available.
- Next is to uninstall/reinstall the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver"
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from Dell's support site.
- Here's the link: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01826364M/1/Serial-ATA_Driver_WMKJG_WN_12.8.0.1016_A00.EXE
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do install the latest firmware update for your SSD.
- Here's the link where you can download them from: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-17/drivers

Next to do as well is to run a test with your RAM's using memtest86. After all these and if it will not work do also reseat the RAM's and test each slot.

Dudeacus720

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

Hi there thanks for the response, however I tried all those things and carried on for a few more days and just now I have had another crash same reason. this time it was the storport.sys that caused it. any other ideas.