Banana plug to TV audio output

Darren_39

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I have a banana plug plate on the wall of my newly purchased house which links to the built in speakers in the ceiling. How do I connect the speakers to the audio output on the tv? I have asked 3 different people in Maplin and they can't seem to grip what I am talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Solution
The headphone/line output on a TV is well under a watt. If it's optical, it's next to nothing.

That's enough for headphones right in your ear, but if you're putting one headphone worth of power into a speaker three meters from where you're sitting, you won't hear anything. You need an amplifier to chuck more power in.

There's also the matter of impedance, which I'm not going to get into.

Darren_39

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Thanks for your response.

How comes I will need an amplifier/receiver? Why can't the speakers go straight from the TV? Sorry to ask my knowledge of this is very little.

Because TVs have their own speakers, and only high-end models (in the past) used to have post for connection additional speakers.

But before connecting whatever to these "banana posts" in the wall, make sure they are connected to speakers. Being a homeowner, cheap $20 multi-meter is a good addition to your toolbox.

The headphone/line output on a TV is well under a watt. If it's optical, it's next to nothing.

That's enough for headphones right in your ear, but if you're putting one headphone worth of power into a speaker three meters from where you're sitting, you won't hear anything. You need an amplifier to chuck more power in.

There's also the matter of impedance, which I'm not going to get into.

Solution