Banning Google Glass? There's a Site For That

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sumasu325

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
*************** http://bit.ly/YniJRv **********
I'm creating $86 associate degree hour engaging from home. i used to be appalled once my neighbour told Pine Tree State she was averaging $95 however I see however it works currently. I feel most freedom currently that i am my very own boss. this is often what I do,
*************** http://bit.ly/YniJRv **********

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I just wonder whether they ban photos being taken as well or just the fact that you would never be able to tell if someone is videoing you.

I understand the whole not wanting to be recorded and photographed all the time seeing as everything that gets recorded ends up on the internet.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]In the US you can't deny service to someone with a disability unless they are causing a problem, so no you can't refuse to serve someone with a seeing eye dog. It is against the law to deny service based on protected classes such as “race, color, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.”[/citation]This wouldn't fall under discriminating against someone with a disability. You might as well try to claim that a business couldn't require people to remove their shoes because some people wear othopedic soles for foot problems.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]In the US you can't deny service to someone with a disability unless they are causing a problem, so no you can't refuse to serve someone with a seeing eye dog. It is against the law to deny service based on protected classes such as “race, color, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.”[/citation]

So you could weld an assault rifle to a wheelchair and go inside a bank or an airport? Yeah, that would be an extreme case, but I don't think you can go around reasonable restrictions as easy as that. This will probably be settled in court, but I think we should just accept that we can be recorded in public by anyone for any reason.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]guzami77[/nom]You guys realize how much more website traffic and publicity this Cafe has gotten... this was a genius play for business.[/citation]

Not really. There is a difference between fame and notoriety. Most businesses want to make money. I guess we'll find out of this owner's ego has the effect of increasing business, or putting him out of business.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So you could weld an assault rifle to a wheelchair and go inside a bank or an airport? Yeah, that would be an extreme case, but I don't think you can go around reasonable restrictions as easy as that. This will probably be settled in court, but I think we should just accept that we can be recorded in public by anyone for any reason.[/citation]

Technically, it is legal to take a weapon inside of a bank and show it. :) Although they have the right to ask you to leave it outside.javascript:%20void(0);

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]evilsizer[/nom]When I get these, I'm going to have them with a prescription.Try and stop me Albertsons, Winn-Dixie, or 5 Point Cafe'. You cannot require someone to have a spare pair of glasses. You also cannot require someone to remove their glasses to enter your establishment when they are required to see. It would be like not allowing someone with a service dog into your establishment. It will be interesting to watch companies try to prevent us from wearing these.[/citation]
You're wrong. Private businesses can refuse service whether you have prescription lenses in them or not. Private businesses can also refuse service to those with "seeing eye dogs" if they believe the dog poses a credible threat to the safety of customers or staff, or if they believe there is a credible threat to the dog (in which case they're required by law to refuse service for the safety of the dog).

[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]In the US you can't deny service to someone with a disability unless they are causing a problem, so no you can't refuse to serve someone with a seeing eye dog. It is against the law to deny service based on protected classes such as “race, color, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.”[/citation]
You're a bit off there. Private businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone. Private businesses can even refuse service for religion, national origin or sexual orientation if they believe such may hinder safety of said person(s) or others. In the case of "seeing eye dogs", businesses can be required to refuse service to someone who's disabled if they believe there's a credible threat to the safety of the dog or if they believe the dog poses a credible safety hazard.

[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]So... If Google can somehow get their glasses product covered by the ADA, then no U.S. business could refuse service...?[/citation]
ADA will never cover Google Glass as they would have to be approved for medical use and there is no known medical condition that such device can be used to treat. Google Glass would have to be approved by the FDA before it could be used as a medical treatment, which means proving that a condition exists in which Google Glass is an effective treatment.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So you could weld an assault rifle to a wheelchair and go inside a bank or an airport? Yeah, that would be an extreme case, but I don't think you can go around reasonable restrictions as easy as that. This will probably be settled in court, but I think we should just accept that we can be recorded in public by anyone for any reason.[/citation]
No, welding an assault rifle to a wheel chair and entering an airport would get you arrested.... Second Amendment doesn't apply to private settings/businesses, airports or movie theatres... First Amendment doesn't apply to private settings/businesses, airports or movie theatres either...

In public, you can be recorded by anyone at any time....but even that can be settled in court so long as you can prove yourself the subject of the recording and that they didn't have your consent to post the video on youtube...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I think the law has yet to seriously start thinking about how to protect people from unwanted invasion of privacy by devices like this. I personally don't think 'banning' is the right path, but legal precedent providing a way for people to block the use of their image by others would be a good start. We're already seeing this sort of thing with embarrassment sites like "people of walmart"... the malicious use of these tools to ridicule/denigrate others without recourse is what most people are against. We've all had moments in our lives that we wouldn't want plastered all over the internet, so we need to be given tools to defend ourselves online. How to do that I have NO idea... but it's pretty clear that the world is going to get a LOT more complicated over the next century.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
The business is within its rights to ban anything, really. Even a commercial business is still private property.

However the reasoning is flawed because anyone with a smartphone can already record fairly inconspicuously.

If businesses were so concerned about privacy, they wouldnt have cameras all over the place. Basically "nobody records my customers but me".

Status
Not open for further replies.