Solved! Basic non gaming laptop under 500

Axoliien

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I would appreciate your assistance in finding a laptop for my wife so I can take all of the credit. :pt1cable:

1. What is your budget? Cheap as possible! Trying to keep it under 500 after all rebates and coupon codes.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Not a netbook, that's too small for usage needs.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't really matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? No

5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn't really matter, it will primarily be used when plugged in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Viewing video and photos, writing documents. Pretty basic stuff.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 250gb+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Dell.com has a 15% off coupon right now, so that is included in the list. Pretty much anywhere reputable though.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? CD/DVD ROM as we don't have many blu-rays.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have no clue. The only laptops I have had are a Toshiba I bought in college that quickly stopped charging the battery and Toshiba never would fix it, or my Lenovo laptops I have had from work that have rocked. I haven't had any other brands.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. This is primarily for my wife so she can browse the internet, do some online training courses that use video primarily, and a lot of writing with MS Word which we already have a licensed copy waiting for install. Since this is primarily for training, having a good sized monitor is nice.

Solution

Dontsayhate

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Your probably going to want a 15" Lenovo, or Dell "Laptop". Easily get a 250+ gb harddrive, and their processors will be able to handle the internet and or word processing no problem.

If dell has a 15% off and you don't mind a dell, i'd say shop around their site for a few hundred dollar Laptops, if you need more help than this, I can give links.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should look into the HP G62t. It is a great multi-purpose laptop with a 15.6" screen, 250 GB of hard drive space, and an optical drive. It is also within your budget. It should be perfect for the uses you described!

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Solution