Bass Shakers/Tactile Transducers for a PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Parker

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello everyone!

A few months back I built a desktop to handle all of my entertainment needs- specifically gaming. However, watching movies has also become an important part of it as we do not own a television, therefore the household depends on this one computer to view movies.

I am trying to turn my bedroom into the ultimate gaming/movie center.
I have invested in a Logitech Z506 5.1 speaker system which has fit our needs very nicely so far (we live in an apartment).

Because we live in an apartment, neighbors do become something to consider.
We are very fortunate with the placement of our apartment though, since we do not have any neighboring units directly contacting us.

I have recently been looking into bass shakers to attach to my desk chair to somehow compliment my Logitech Z506 speakers. I have no experience in this field so I have no idea how this would play out, but I do know that the puck must be connected to an amplifier which in turn must be connected to the Logitech subwoofer, or something along those lines.

I am on a sub-$100 budget (really, I only have $45 as of right now - but I wouldn't mind letting this project take place over a few months time), so the cheaper, the better.

Some attainable shakers I have come across are:

http://www.amazon.com/Aura-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker/dp/B0002ZPTBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399847965&sr=8-2&keywords=bass+shaker

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-TT25-8-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B009RGJ47S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399847965&sr=8-3&keywords=bass+shaker

I don't imagine it would take much more than one of these to get my desk chair shaking, right? You are the experts though so I am open to all suggestions and advice.

An amplifier that seems like it would do the job is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1399847990&sr=8-10&keywords=bass+shaker

I am essentially asking you to help me with what I should purchase, and how I would assemble it in order for it to compliment my Logitech speakers.

Thank you for reading and helping!

Best Regards,

Ryan

Solution
to your previous comment:
ANY amplifier which can put 50w@4ohm out per channel is a perfect match. one guy saying that he likes that amp doesnt mean its perfect. perhaps the guy just liked that it can mount in furniture which is convenient. if you went with that one... a cooling fan is probably sufficient enough as a precaution.

to your current comment:
you use a 3.5mm splitter right at the soundcard. the one signal goes to your sound system while the other goes to the 3.5mm to rca splitter. they are two different legs so no, it will not hurt your center channel on your completely seperated sound system. it will continue to play fine if you hook it up exactly as i described.

Ryan Parker

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

I will look for one! :D
By the way, when you said "only the red", is that referring to the red RCA cable?
So I would just plug the red one in the amp and not the white?

Ryan Parker

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

The amplifier I mentioned is apparently the perfect one for the AURA.
If I did go with that one, what precautions should I take for it?

Here is an amazon review:
I only wish the 'perfect-match' amp for it (Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier) didn't run so hot so that I could blast this at maximum all day. (For those with a better amp, you can run this at full tilt all night.)

the 3.5mm cable handles both center and sub. when you split it to rca the one rca will be for center and the other for sub. you dont want the center one so can just leave this alone. you want the sub one (which should be red) since this is what you will be using to trigger your shaker.

now, if you have a 50w/channel amp you could just connect just this one cable up to the amp. and use only one of the channels on this amp. technically a 50w mono amp would work however thats alot harder to find.

Ryan Parker

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Then, I will lose the functionality of the center though, right?

to your previous comment:
ANY amplifier which can put 50w@4ohm out per channel is a perfect match. one guy saying that he likes that amp doesnt mean its perfect. perhaps the guy just liked that it can mount in furniture which is convenient. if you went with that one... a cooling fan is probably sufficient enough as a precaution.

to your current comment:
you use a 3.5mm splitter right at the soundcard. the one signal goes to your sound system while the other goes to the 3.5mm to rca splitter. they are two different legs so no, it will not hurt your center channel on your completely seperated sound system. it will continue to play fine if you hook it up exactly as i described.

Solution

Ryan Parker

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS