Question Battery at 0% Charge | Charging State = Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020
I have a Dell Laptop running Ubuntu. Recently, the battery hit 0% and has since then been unable to charge when I plug the AC adapter in. I've tried purchasing another battery, but no luck.

The laptop does recognize the battery and the AC adapter, but the laptop will shut off as soon as I unplug the AC adapter.

Any help?

Have you tried charging it while the laptop is turned off? See if it will charge the battery then.

If so, then the likely cause is the charger and not the battery. When chargers start to go they often will not both run a device and charge the battery. They will, however, charge it when the device is turned off, or run it, just not charge when on.

If it turns out that it will charge when off, then you need a new charger.

Now if it won't charge even when turned off (and the batteries are OEM and not aftermarket) then it may be the charging circuit that is the problem. If that is the case, then you may need the motherboard replaced.

Greg Chalik

Great
Nov 28, 2019
I have a Dell Laptop running Ubuntu. Recently, the battery hit 0% and has since then been unable to charge when I plug the AC adapter in. I've tried purchasing another battery, but no luck.

The laptop does recognize the battery and the AC adapter, but the laptop will shut off as soon as I unplug the AC adapter.

Any help?
I don't have good news because had a similar problem with a HP laptop and eventually abandoned.

The problem appears to be in BIOS/CMOS with some models, but I never got to the bottom of it as it is beyond me.

What I learned helped some other users is to
switch off the laptop
remove the battery
power on while on cable
shut down the laptop
unplug the cable (still without the battery)
wait a couple of minutes, then press the power button and hold for about 30 seconds (this advice varies from 10 seconds to a minute!)
reattach the battery
reconnect the cable to power adapter
power on as usual
the battery should show charging
this has helped some, but not me so I now have a Dell rather than a HP. I needed something newer anyway
I'd be happy to her it helped you ;-)
cheers

Jan 30, 2020
Have you tried charging it while the laptop is turned off? See if it will charge the battery then.

If so, then the likely cause is the charger and not the battery. When chargers start to go they often will not both run a device and charge the battery. They will, however, charge it when the device is turned off, or run it, just not charge when on.

If it turns out that it will charge when off, then you need a new charger.

Now if it won't charge even when turned off (and the batteries are OEM and not aftermarket) then it may be the charging circuit that is the problem. If that is the case, then you may need the motherboard replaced.
It does not charge while the laptop is off and the AC plugged in. However, I do see the charging LED light on in front of the laptop.

I don't have good news because had a similar problem with a HP laptop and eventually abandoned.

The problem appears to be in BIOS/CMOS with some models, but I never got to the bottom of it as it is beyond me.

What I learned helped some other users is to
switch off the laptop
remove the battery
power on while on cable
shut down the laptop
unplug the cable (still without the battery)
wait a couple of minutes, then press the power button and hold for about 30 seconds (this advice varies from 10 seconds to a minute!)
reattach the battery
reconnect the cable to power adapter
power on as usual
the battery should show charging
this has helped some, but not me so I now have a Dell rather than a HP. I needed something newer anyway
I'd be happy to her it helped you ;-)
cheers
I've these steps, but it did not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.