Battery light flashing

Bakerboy26

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
My Sony Vaio packed up whilst I was using it and would not reboot even though it was plugged into the mains but the battery light was flashing. Would a dead battery cause this to happen even though it was plugged into the mains

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Possibly. How old is it? Depending on usage patterns, you might only get 2-3 years out of a battery.
I've tried "both" sources for replacement laptop batteries: eBay, which sells the cheap ones, and Batteries Plus, which sells "good" ones (e.g. Ray-O-Vac). Some of the cheap ones lasted little more than a year in my old Dell 1505. I gave it to my niece a couple years ago, and AFAIK the Ray-O-Vac is still going strong.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I would not run a laptop without its battery long term though. Correct me if I'm wrong Brett, but my understanding is that the battery in a laptop serves THREE purposes:
1. Runs the laptop away from AC (duh...),
2. Filters incoming AC power better than any capacitors/coils in a PSU,
3. Pulls incoming voltage down to the proper level for the laptop; it's higher than the laptop needs, in order to charge the battery.

Hi :)

1...Lol

2 & 3 are fine if the country has a good reliable (non fluctuating) electrical supply... like in the UK , where a UPS is almost unheard of...

But if you NEED A UPS ...then battery IN can help with problems...

I see you are very busy at moment :) Well done for having time to answer :)

All the best Brett :)