Solved! Battery not loading at all - appeared after fixing black screen (Acer Nitro)

Jul 2, 2019
Hello everybody!

I have two years old Acer Aspire V 15 Touch (VN7-572TG-558G) with Win 10 Home edition.

Originally I had issue with my screen, which I fixed but I ended up breaking my battery.

Original problem and how I solved it: Sometimes when powering on or waking up the laptop the screen stayed black and without back light. It usually started working after a reset or two and it always worked in an external monitor. Now a week back the screen didn't wake up anymore at all except on external monitor, so I took the screen open to check if all the connectors were okay. Then I opened the bottom of the computer to check the other end of the cable and do a battery reset that I read about (unplugging battery, then holding power button for a long while).. I did have to open up the laptop a few times in order to make the monitor work again as the problem gradually went better and worse on random. At some point it was black but with back light and so on and at some point the Acer startup screen appeared but Windows did not. Always worked on external, though. After doing a few tries with the battery reset, now the monitor works. Nice.

While fixing that, however, another issue appeared. Now my battery doesn't load anymore. A few days back I had 34% left, now I have 32% so I guess I'll be running out in a few weeks. If I unplug the power cable, the computer shuts down. It works only with the cable plugged in but the battery does not load. Even if I shut down the laptop and leave it plugged in overnight, it has not charged anything.

In task bar it says something like (in another language) plugged in but not recharging.

How have I tried to fix this battery issue:
  1. I've reconnected the battery cables a few times just to make sure I didn't accidentally leave them loose when assembling the laptop. I'm sure I didn't hit anything inside the laptop with my bare fingers or a metal screwdriver. I did push the battery connector with the screwdriver though when I pushed it back in, but there is no visible marks on it.
  2. I've done the "battery reset" again: I've removed the battery connector and pressed the power button for minutes.
  3. In Windows Device Manager, I've removed "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" which I read sometimes help. The program did reinstall automatically after restaring the computer.
  4. I went to BIOS and loaded defaults.
  5. I went to Acer website and installed latest Chipset drivers (read somewhere I should do it).
  6. What should I try next?
I'm quite positive the battery isn't dying just because it's old as this appeared while I fixed the monitor issue, so I'm sure they're related somehow.

I'd appreciate any help I get.

Solution
It sounds pretty simple to me. You need a new battery. They don't last. While the timing may seem off, it is likely just a coincidence. If it runs fine when plugged in, but not on battery at all, the battery isn't giving out the power you need.

That is as long as it won't charge at all. If it won't charge if turned off (powering the laptop fully off, not sleep or hibernate) and it won't charge even then, this is a sign of needing a battery as well.

Now if it will charge when the laptop is fully powered off, and run off that charge when turned on, then your problem is likely the charger.
It sounds pretty simple to me. You need a new battery. They don't last. While the timing may seem off, it is likely just a coincidence. If it runs fine when plugged in, but not on battery at all, the battery isn't giving out the power you need.

That is as long as it won't charge at all. If it won't charge if turned off (powering the laptop fully off, not sleep or hibernate) and it won't charge even then, this is a sign of needing a battery as well.

Now if it will charge when the laptop is fully powered off, and run off that charge when turned on, then your problem is likely the charger.

Reactions: restante
Solution
Jul 2, 2019
Oh well, I guess I got to try that then. I'll let you know how it goes once I purchase a new battery.

Any other ideas, you know, just in case it's not that?

EDIT Jul 11: Today, while still having 32% battery when connected to outlet I had to restart my computer to finish a Windows update. The computer powered down and... and.. nothing happened, it didn't come back on. I've had the new battery waiting for installation for about a week now so I decided to switch it and it worked. Laptop charges again and doesn't power off if I pull the plug. Great! All good. Thank you for the suggestion @webworkings , I would't have thought of the battery because I thought this was related to the repairs I did for the screen.

Last edited: