Battery Problems - Plugged in but not charging

Kreytus

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
So my laptop is almost two years old now. It is a Samsung and today I received a pop-up from Easy Display Manager about my battery needing to be replaced. This caused me to mouse down to the battery icon and I see that it is plugged in but not charging. I downloaded CPUID HW Monitor and it says that my wear level is at 40%. This seems high to me after 2 years but perhaps I am wrong in thinking that.

I have tried rebooting my computer as well as removing (dusting) and then replacing the battery. Neither of these fixed it. Is there anything else I can do or am I now stuck with being plugged in at all times or need to purchase a new battery.

Thanks in advance

Do you provide proper month maintenance ?

I cringe when I see it stated that battery memory effect is a myth because peeps wrongly assume that you should never discharge the battery to 0 because it is damaging to the battery. It is true that when using lithium-based batteries the memory effect is a myth, (it only applied to older Nickle-based batteries). However to go from that to saying fully discharging and charging the battery is useless and even harmful is just as wrong.

You should discharge you battery to 0 every 30 discharges or if that just too hard to remember, very 30 days. The reason you should do this is that battery charging is controlled by a specific scheme which has higher voltages applied at the start an tapers off as it gets to 100%. Over time as battery capacity changes, the battery charging scheme goes further and further "off target". If it thinks your battery is 85% charged when it is really nearing 100%, then you will be overcharging the battery reducing its useful life.

So.... do a full 10% drain every 30 charge cycles..... I use BatteryCare to keep me posted on where I am.

http://batterycare.net/en/index.html

The other thing is keep track of temps while gaming .... if doing long sessions while plugged in, prolonged heat exposure can damage battery. So in such conditions, sometimes advisable to remove battery.

If you have not been doing this maintenance, then 2 years is not unusual.

Kreytus

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014

So I havent been providing monthly maintenance so that's probably the reason for the 40% wear. However, even if i drain the battery down to say 40%, it wont charge back up to 60%. It refuses to charge. Is there any way to fix this or can one no longer recharge batteries after 40% wear? (this would make no sense to me) Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.