Question Battery suddenly stopped working in Toshiba Satellite

don_genaro

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Hello,

I went back to university last year and my old laptop battery was dead, so I bought a new one. For some unknown reason, it's suddenly stopped charging. When the computer starts up, the battery icon will move as if it were charging for around 10 seconds and then stop. I've tried all the typical fixes one finds online to no avail. My power cord is fine (I'm using it without a battery now), and the battery itself isn't dead as far as I can tell from the battery report. It's also going straight to bios on start up.

I've tried troubleshooting, taking the battery out and draining the charge by holding the power button; uninstalling the driver and having it reinstall on start-up; checking for issues with recent windows update, etc.

Can anyone help me out here? It seems like such an odd issue. I can usually search for and find solutions to most of my PC problems, so there shouldn't be any issues with me following instructions.

Thanks a lot.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Hello,

I went back to university last year and my old laptop battery was dead, so I bought a new one. For some unknown reason, it's suddenly stopped charging. When the computer starts up, the battery icon will move as if it were charging for around 10 seconds and then stop. I've tried all the typical fixes one finds online to no avail. My power cord is fine (I'm using it without a battery now), and the battery itself isn't dead as far as I can tell from the battery report. It's also going straight to bios on start up.

I've tried troubleshooting, taking the battery out and draining the charge by holding the power button; uninstalling the driver and having it reinstall on start-up; checking for issues with recent windows update, etc.

Can anyone help me out here? It seems like such an odd issue. I can usually search for and find solutions to most of my PC problems, so there shouldn't be any issues with me following instructions.

Thanks a lot.

I've had this issue with many laptops, including my current ZBook. Usually the aftermarket batteries are made in China and are D- grade. Sometimes there is an e-fuse that trips and the battery simply stops working.

Other times the laptop finally "recognizes" that it's not a legitimate battery. Honestly there are a lot of things that could prevent your battery from working, and it's often shooting into the dark.

The most frequent cause in my experience is the aftermarket battery being out of spec and damaging the circuitry responsible for charging it. The 2nd most frequent cause is an old and worn charging jack causing a multitude of issues; Toshiba generally has been the worst in my experience.

The last Toshiba laptop I had ended up with the electrolytic capacitors in the charger exploding because I used an aftermarket battery.