Believe it Not, Xbox 360 Main Use Today is Not for Gaming

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I can't wait for the Xbox 360 and PS3 to die, so the games industry can finally move towards games which take advantage of the vastly more capable hardware available today.

"Dated" doesn't even begin to describe these consoles.

Having said that, their value/usefulness would soar through the roof if we could just have full access to the hardware we effing paid for. If I could get XBMC on my Xbox 360, it would transform it from a stupid paperweight into a powerful media machine.

Whatever, though. Gonna get a Raspberry Pi and see if that can replace my chunky HTPC!

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Not surprising, I have owned 3 PS3's since it came out and they are all used more for movies and media streaming over games. I've bought maybe 5 games and over 500 Bluray disks.

ghostling

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]The fact that you have time to write a smart ass reply to an article not geared toward you shows how little you can think. Half of the time I feel you guys are cutting and pasting the same crap for anything out there and inserting the name of the product.[/citation]

i agree with this one... what's even more old and tired than xbox360 and its games is the complaints or the lame jokes about it or the RROD. enough already.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
My Xbox 360 is in it box in the closet and my PS3 is being used as a media center with PS3 media server and NetFlix I have never even played a game on the PS3.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
360 is my kinect box... i don't pay for xbox live though. mostly only used for party games like dance central, kinect adventures, and rock band ... other than that i have a htpc which does everythign better than the xbox

G

I find this weird since the only thing I use it for is games. I have never used it for music, movies or television. That's what the PC is for.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]>_> well 1/3 of all consoles have gold membership and lets face it a fair few of the other 2/3 are either broken or unused.so i would say most people with a 360 pay for membership[/citation]
numbers closer to 1/5

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I've been mentioning this as the very biggest reason why there hasn't been new consoles out....and all the foreveralone pc geeks here always thumb me down jjajaja, truth hurts.

FYI I only game on PC....but I'm objective...and non bias

ummduh

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
I barely use it at all anymore. I refuse to pay for a gold membership to be able to use netflix/hulu..and then pay their membership fees on top of that.

it used to get a lot of use as a WMP device but even that has teetered off a bit as of late. Ended up buying a Roku just to spite MS's gold fee, and found out it'll do everything I used to use the 360 for.

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I have the old 360, and I never use it for media. Heck, I don't use it for much anymore anyway. Its too loud, I just use the PS3, since its more quiet.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
like some said, xbox 360 is not for gaming anymore, is just for entertainment, like media in general. Ppl play on consoles today only restricted titles like the HALO series, or because their PC is older then their consoles ;p

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]wishtar[/nom]It would probably get used even more if it could play Blu-Ray movies. I initially purchased my PS3 solely as a Blu-Ray player. At the time it was one of the cheapest Blu-Ray capable devices and being a game console has received continual firmware updates unlike most Blu-Ray players.[/citation]
I did the same and the PS3 player is rugged too. I saw how my brother's Blu-Ray players died one after the other. My PS3 still works as new. Btw, my brother also got a PS3 now solely for Blu-Rays. ^^

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
One feature no one has mentioned is the integration of Bing in the XBox dashboard. Since I have Netflix, Hulu, EpixHD, Crackle, ESPN, and now HBO on my XBox, being able to do a single search to see of a particular title is available on any of these services is a major convenience.

I much prefer gaming on a PC but Kinect integration in Mass Effect 3 was too cool-looking to pass up. I have about a dozen XBox games, mainly stuff that just isn't available on PC (Halo/2/3/ODST/Reach, Gears of War/2/3, Forza3/4, Fable/2/3)

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Another one here using it mainly for media and DVD playback. Works great for that.

The only issue I have with the 360 is the current terrible dashboard that's a nightmare to navigate if you don't have a Kinect. Really is a terrible design to use with a standard controller or remote.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
With the whole red ring of death fiasco, it could have very well been a pizza oven.

Personally, I prefer the Xbox 1 with XBMC as a media center. It plays alot more stuff I throw at it (including ISOs) without having to leave a PC with media center turned on.

Even now, XBMC has outgrown the Xbox 1 for things like HD and such, I have one of them small PCs with just XBMC on it and it streams everything from my NAS. (ISOs, mp4, mkv, avi, etc)

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Gaming laptop; A real computer you can use on the go. Play games with USB console controllers and HDMI to TV, data processing with CUDA and x86 cores, emulate an ARM computer, whatever you wanna do. Oh yeah it can be your business machine too.
It's funny, I know an electrical engineer who bought an Apple laptop but then he can't run LTspice and I'm like haha, newb.

G

I don't add comments much but you guys must not have kids. My Xbox360 older white box gets 8 hrs a day use gaming. If it is not online against the world it is my 2 son’s with their friend playing in coop in a game they made up in Halo or Minecraft. Now, they do use it watch movies and internet content but far and away it is gaming. It is like a social website for them, they spend hours chatting away with local friends as they blast their way to another zombie level or the like. Or they are sharing how to beat a level in their lastest game purchase.

So as for me and mine it is a gaming console.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Well have I got the solution to YOUR problem! you CAN stream MKV to the 360 through windows media center in win7. Here's a youtube instructional video on how to setup to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn__zuYsf_0[/citation]
Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I only use my Xbox 360 for playing games, because i have a beastly computer sitting right next to it that can do everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.