Bendy Bike Wraps Around Poles for Safe Keeping

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its a cool idea, and reasonably well implemented, but not very useful in reality.

As for people saying to use a cable lock, those locks are next to useless. I know plenty of people that have had their cable cut and bike stolen. The only locks that I know of that are any good are the high quality U locks.
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]If you make it light(...) enough(ie carbon fiber) you can just carry it on you back.[/citation]
My bike is mostly carbon (frame, forks, seat post, handlebars) and its light enough to carry, but it is a too big to take indoors.

The kid deserves some credit for the idea and for making a working prototype. However, I tend to agree that the idea isn't realistic. By having a cable-tensioned middle section the entire frame would loose its rigidity. I would much rather trust a hinged design instead.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Its a fixed gear (i.e. no free-wheel). You stop by just slowing down your pedaling.[/citation]I don't know about all that. It freewheel's BUT when you reverse pedaling it "brakes".

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I don't know about all that. It freewheel's BUT when you reverse pedaling it "brakes".[/citation]Actually looking closely at the pictures.. it has a derailer but only one gear on the wheel.. why? It also has mounts for brakes on the front forks that are visible... so.. it's just a prototype.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Actually looking closely at the pictures.. it has a derailer but only one gear on the wheel.. why? It also has mounts for brakes on the front forks that are visible... so.. it's just a prototype.[/citation]
Hmm, you are correct. And to be fair, I'm pretty sure that in Britain, like many other places, you legally have to have at least one brake on your bike. Though where I live you don't and I know a few people that ride brake-less fixies.

Status
Not open for further replies.