Best 64gb memory for my laptop?

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
I have this laptop http:// with this ddr4 2800 ram http:// when I installed the ram its running at 2400 according to cpu-z and intel xtu. I was able to "overclock" the ram to its advertised speed of 2800 using intel xtu, it booted, and shortly after reset/blue screen. http:// then it seemed to be working without issue so i ran hci design MemTest throughout the night. http:// everything seemed well with that, so then i ran windows memory diagnostic via Extended option under Test Mix: it got to 21% complete of pass 1 of 2 (10% overall) after 6 hours.

In the meantime eurocom support actually answered one of my emails with:

"I would never buy Gskill RAM.
It is third party CRAP ram.
There is no REAL 2800 Ram on the market.
I would suggest Micron P/N: CT16G48FD824A.16FA1
As that is what we use."

but I was unable to find this part number they speak of, then I asked them about the corsair vengeance http:// and kingston hyperX impact http:// kits and the reply was:

"Hyper X 2400 only 8GB sticks work.
Corsair 16GB 2133 and 2400 also works."

So im super confused as to whether I should (a) keep what I have, or return and (b) buy the faster and assumingly more compatible 2400 hyperX impact ram (faster because of the lower latency) that supposedly only the 8GB sticks work, why would the 16GB sticks not work? that makes 0 sense to me? or (c) buy the slightly slower corsair 2400.

Thank you so much for any help in advance!

Solution
HWinfo: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Download, install, run the utility and tick the box next to "sensors only", then scroll down the resulting page to the listing for Core and Package temps. Then open and run Blend mode in Prime95 version 26.6 and only version 26.6:

http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Other versions run AVX instructions which create even higher temperatures and is unnecessary and unwanted for memory or thermal testing.

If core temps exceed 80°C at any point in the testing, immediately go up to the file menu in Prime and select "stop" and then select "exit". If you simply click the X in the upper right hand corner like you would with most programs, it will continue to run in...

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Wow, whoever wrote that should not be working in technical support as that is not only extremely rude and unprofessional, it is also 100% dead wrong. It is technically correct in that 2800 RAM for laptops really doesn't exist without overclocking, but to say G.Skill is crap is dead wrong. What do you need 64GB of RAM for?

G.Skill is probably the highest quality RAM on the modern market. Especially the Trident sticks using the Samsung modules. But even their Ripjaws and lower end modules are very good. Eurocom should slap themselves in the face for being idiots.

You probably need more voltage to run at 2800mhz, which might not be a great idea on that laptop, but it's hard to say as it's nothing that's comparable to what we'd expect to see in desktop configuration, so who knows. I don't think there's very many, if any, members here who will have any experience with these new Z170 based laptops yet. Maybe, but I this is the first I've heard of them so it's improbable.

Honestly, the difference in performance between 2400mhz and 2800mhz is negligible, so I'd probably just return them and go with something at that speed unless you've managed to get it stable by now.

And I can't imagine what you'd need 64GB for unless you're running extremely large CAD files or are for some reason using that unit to run virtual machines. There's a very limited number of reasons that can justify 64GB of RAM in a laptop.

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
Eurocom has by far the worst support I have ever dealt with, but I could start a whole new thread on that. I can assure you guys I need the 64GB of ram, darkbreeze do you have any suggestions on any other tests I can run to assure the laptop is stable? should I post xtu screenshots?

if i do return the ram for 2400 and given eurocoms ignorance, should i get the one i want (the HyperX that supposedly only 8gb sticks work) or just buy the corsair?

I'd probably go with the Corsair. I've found Corsair to have better compatibility with laptops than most other brands. You can also contact G.Skill and ask them about compatibility. As far as testing, if it will POST and it will pass Memtest 86 testing for 7 passes, which will take several hours to do, then it should be fine.

Normally I'd say do a Prime95 Blend mode run for a couple of hours, and if it passes that without any errors then it's good, but I don't think running Prime on a laptop is a great idea due to the potential for heat damage and the fact that the system will likely end up throttling itself anyhow so it's probably not a reliable test for a laptop.

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015

I ran Memtest86 twice and it never completed the first pass, these white boxes appeared and it got stuck on 91% and 90% for several hours http:// So I will choose either the Corsair 2400 or the G.skill 2400 (I forgot that was also an option in my prior post)

Please let me know which one you recommend between those 2 and I will give it a try and report back here letting you know how it worked out. Thank you.

Why don't you just go into the BIOS and set the speed to 2400mhz, if the bios in that laptop provides the option to make adjustments to memory settings? Then you don't need to hassle with a return, you'll have memory that's running way below it's rated speed and voltage, so it should last a good deal longer since it's qualified to run at a much higher voltage which means it will run cooler and you'll almost certainly have a stabler module that way than even running a 2400mhz module at 2400mhz.

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
I don't see any settings in the bios, it ran at 2400 with 17 latency when I first installed before I overclocked it to its qualified speed of 2800 with 18 latency with XTU.

The other chips I am looking at run at 15 and 16 latency @ 2400. I don't really want to spend more money on something that is going to run at a higher latency.

This time I lowered the timing to 16-16-16-39 via XTU and it booted, then i set it to 15-15-15-36 and it booted, currently running Memtest86 again

How did you overclock it if there are no settings to make changes to the memory configuration?

If you run that memory at a lower speed than what it was designed to be run at, you can make changes and tweak the latency to a lower setting with no problem. BUT, you have to be able to make changes to the memory settings and I'm uncertain what is going on here because you're offering conflicting information regarding this. You say there are no settings, but then you say you overclocked the memory. So which is it? Very confusing to be honest.

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
Sorry, I adjusted the memory settings using intel XTU (you can overclock the cpu, gpu, memory etc) not through the bios. intel XTU is software that came on the disk with the drivers. I have not messed with anything else but the memory settings

If you want 64 gig of RAM, you can't use the 8 gig sticks of HyperX the tech recommended. I don't know of any laptops with more than 4 RAM slots.

You need 16 gig sticks of RAM if you want 64 gig total.

The memory spec on the link you have is DDR4-2133; up to 64GB, so trying to run it at 2800 just because that is what the RAM can run is not surprising that if failed to work.

You can't just run the RAM at what speed the RAM can run it, but what the motherboard can handle.

I think the data on the Eurocrap website is wrong, because the Z170 chipset used on that unit does not have the 2133mhz limitation seen on H110 and B150 chipsets. I could be wrong, but I think that's an error on their data, unless there is some difference between the Z170 chipset used on the laptop models, and that used on desktop boards, which is entirely possible but I have not seen any evidence that's suggests it is the case.

HT9, if you know something on this, I'd like to know just so I don't give out any incorrect info.

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
You can order from eurocom with 2400 if you check the memory drop down menu, so I know for sure sppeds higher then 2133 are supported.

I did have the system running at 2800, and ran hci design memtest with no issue, i also ran windows memory diagnostic tool with no issue.

Then I tried running windows memory diagnostic again but in extended mode instead of standard, and in 6 hours it was only about 21% complete of one pass so i assumed it was stuck. also the passmark memtest86 keeps getting stuck at 91% of first pass I have ran it for 6-8 hours, several times.

So as of now 2 tests pass and 2 don't. I'm leaning towards rma and ordering the corsair 2400... I'll try to post a screen shot of the XTU interface later, maybe im missing something with the settings I have available

Windows memory diagnostic tool is less than worthless, so don't base anything off that, ever.

Memtest 86 and Prime95 Blend mode, which uses lots of memory, are about the best indicators of both the condition of the memory and whether it is stable. Looking back, I see that your modules failed in Memtest. I didn't notice that before. A failure in Memtest would indicate a problem with the module or it's cells, not stability. If the modules can't pass testing in Memtest86, I'd RMA those modules.

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
For whatever reason I decided to try running memtest86 via cd instead of usb stick. No errors so far (I didnt notice any errors last time, just assumed it was stuck, and white boxes would cover half of the info on the screen like this http://imgur.com/a/04nhW . There are no white boxes now, running it via cd)

The first pass took nearly 8 hours, I set it for 7 passes as you recommended. At this pace it will take about 2 full days or 48 more hours to finish. Is that anywhere near normal? Should I be concerned of damaging the system doing this?

reppinjerzy

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
OK cool, ill let it go another pass then try it with the timing lowered to 16-16-16-39 or 15-15-15-36 @ 2400. Then try it again with the rated speed of 2800 and 18-18-18-43. Hopefully the issue was just the usb stick causing those white boxes for whatever reason

Like I said, Memtest isn't testing stability. It's only testing to see if there are physical issues with the memory cells. If you want to test memory stability, you need to run Prime95 v26.6 in Blend mode for a few hours, but keep a close eye on temperatures. Laptops clearly don't have the kind of cooling systems that desktops have, so if it looks like there is a thermal issue, stop the test and don't run it anymore. Might not even be a good idea to start with. I've never had a reason to run Prime on a laptop before since most laptop memory is run at stock speeds and overclocking on them is a rarity.