Best ad blockers and privacy extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm waiting for an ad blocker that will spoof the websites into thinking there is no ad blocker in place. More and more sites are incorporating code that disables the site entirely or many of the features if an adblocker is in use.

Jul 20, 2020
I'm waiting for an ad blocker that will spoof the websites into thinking there is no ad blocker in place. More and more sites are incorporating code that disables the site entirely or many of the features if an adblocker is in use.

I agree. What good is an ad blocker that only gets you locked out of perhaps 70% of all Internet sites you want to visit? I believe HTML5 is directly responsible. Only after it came into general use were sites magically able to detect you are using an ad blocker. Web pages used to be simpler. I remember loading them on 56kbps modem in the 1990s. Now, to read a 2 kilobytes of TEXT, I have to load 5 megabytes or more of cumbersome web pages graphics and ads when all I care about is the 2 kilobytes of text that actually compromises a typical news article, for example. THAT is progress?

Meanwhile, I've found "Techblocker" to be better than any of the above ad blockers as it actually bypasses the ad blocker detecters on over a dozen major sites (including Yahoo Mail), but I think it's only available for Chrome at the present time (itself an inside source of info for Google itself). Ironically, it still didn't block the detection on Tom's Guide here, but then I find it ironic this site has an article on the best ad blockers while using an ad blocker detecter itself.

The truth is if web sites loaded static photo ads (like quaint newspaper ads) in pre-loaded image sized forms (that didn't cause web pages to "jump" like crazy as it loads yet MORE ads for the same 2K of news text), most people wouldn't even feel the need to "block" ads. But greed is an infinite black hole that can never be filled and so it's abused to the point where we need an ad blocker just to keep our 2-year old phones from crashing from running out of memory when we only want to read that 2k of text! It's miserable. But when one of the world's greatest web browser creating companies is also the world's greatest seller of ads (Google Chrome and Google/Alphabet), some might say there's a conflict of interests happening at the very least. What else can the average person do but find a way around the roadblocks? They want to guilt us for using ad blockers, but they don't care if they send us 5000x the actual information content in the form of ads and make us pay to receive it as well (bandwidth).

Status
Not open for further replies.