Best budget 7.1 surround headset?

ShadowOdysseus

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
So I am looking for a cheap, high quality headset with 7.1 surround. Around $50-60 is preferable,
but I have an upper limit of $90ish. The headsets I am currently looking at are the Sentey Arches and Sentey Symph, but the Arches are huge and the Symph has questionable build and sound quality.

Solution

You will have to look for more expensive stuff if you want high quality. A good balance will be a ATH-M40X or HD518 and a mod-mic unidirectional, which can be had for about ~100. Don't bother with "7.1" headsets because they are WORSE for positional audio than good stereo headphones.

The only reason to go with "7.1" is if you have a mutant head with more than two ears.

MystoPigz

Estimable
May 14, 2015
If you definitely want to get a 7.1 surround sound gaming headset, then the Kingston HyperX Cloud II and the Logitech G35 headsets are some great headsets (The G35 is actually on sale for $49.99 on Amazon). I would just get a quality set of stereo headphones and attach a modmic.

-MystoPigz

ShadowOdysseus

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
As an added thing (if it expands my possibilities any), I have a Creative SB1040 Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E Sound Card that is not installed right now, but I could potentially use.

You will have to look for more expensive stuff if you want high quality. A good balance will be a ATH-M40X or HD518 and a mod-mic unidirectional, which can be had for about ~100. Don't bother with "7.1" headsets because they are WORSE for positional audio than good stereo headphones.

The only reason to go with "7.1" is if you have a mutant head with more than two ears.

Solution

ShadowOdysseus

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

That sounds interesting, but modmic's attachable mics are a tad bit expensive, so a cheaper alternative might be in order.
The recommendation of the HyperX II might be possible if i push my boundaries a little with my budget.