Best budget laptop (NO Gaming). ASUS or Lenovo?

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
What is the best available laptop within 500$ (Prefer no more than 400$)?
After searching around a bit, i find that Asus & Lenovo seems to have good pro reviews. Other choices are welcome.

Looking for something that is,
- Below 500$ (Prefer no more than 400$).
- Long life with good battery life.
- No gaming use. Just typical everyday use like browsing.
- Screen around 14" - 16" (a little flexible here)
- DVD ROM at least.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

looks good enough. thanks.
Leaning towards this, unless some thing better come up.

Battery backup dosent look great - 3hrs according to the website. Not sure if I could better that at this price range.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
by better i meant, better battery life, not sacrificing build quality.

I'm Willing to sacrifice Performance a little since it is mainly for browsing and movies. I doubt this should be a worry, since a budget laptop better be able to do that :)

Between Asus and Lenovo laptops, I prefer Lenovo because Asus laptops generally have the battery sealed inside the laptop so if the battery dies you need to send it to Asus to be serviced. Most Lenovo laptops do not have the battery sealed inside the laptop as far as I know except for their ultrabooks.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you, but mainly for video streaming like Netflix, Google movies, Bluray, etc.

For you I'd say an AMD A4 5000, great battery life on those especially if the laptop has 6 cell since they're low power consumption, and you can't go wrong with Asus but don't be afraid to look at Acer or MSI either. Lenovo are OK, they're not like IBM used to be, I was a hardcore IBM laptop user for decades until Lenovo took over.

I'm personally looking at a couple Acer Aspire E1 models (one with an A4 5000 and one with Pentium 2020M).

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I am aware that ASUS is very reliable. Hence leaning towards it.
But, battery is a major concern if all it can give is 3 hours.

Edit: On power saving mode should probably give upto 4.5 hrs? Should be decent enough then.
Changing battery is not a concern. I could give it a shot myself since i tweak stuff regularly, or we can get it changed at a very low price back here.

I wouldn't mix the business and consumer level laptops together. IBM only sold business laptops, most notably the ThinkPad T series.I would only compare the Lenovo ThinkPad series to IBM ThinkPad series. I wouldn't bother trying to compare Lenovo consumer laptops like the IdeaPad series to the old IBM ThinkPads. Those laptops serves different purposes.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Can you suggest an equivalent laptop from Lenovo? How good are they compared to ASUS?

I was recommended by a couple of dealers to not go with ASUS since they do not sell much back in India. So spares are not easy to find. Like Battery or charger.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I got the F501A. Liking it so far.

Was a little reluctant going Win8 having used it in office desktops.
But with the touchpad its pretty good, so my inhibitions changed pretty quickly.

Sadly, the laptop does not get charged. When I plug into wall outlet, the PC dosent even detect that it was plugged in. Even a switched off PC does not show the charging light.
Will check in the morning using a multimeter if the charger dc out is working fine. If it is then the laptop is going back, if its not then at least the charger is conked. Either way have to revisit the store.

Also, the laptop has an onboard integrated memory. Since I can purchase 2 years extended warranty I decided to go for it.