Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries.[/citation]
Actually, it's what you get when you allow the world to be ruled by right wing reverse vampire illuminati warlocks. It's true, I read it on the internet.

ben55124

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Related, Best Buy Employee Handbook Section III, article 5 - Parking: Employees are required to park in designated areas. Vehicles must be unlocked with keys and title visible on the drivers seat. Best Buy is not responsible for lost vehicles. Customers with borrowed employee vehicles have 30 days to return before employee can file charges with law enforcement.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
What I always say, theives deserve a baseball bat to the head.

At a Radio Sack like store, some guy was trying to take some equipment, so he had the f*** beat out of him by one of the managers, anyways the guy died.

And everyone was cheering.

But on the news the friend complained and said 'why did my friend eserve to die, he was only steeling a tv'.

Well for sure that thieve wont be doing that again haha. he definately learned his lesson ;) And for his friend, I doubt he will steel too, but from what his statement, it sounds like he needs to learn his lesson too.

If you do something as risky as steeling, you take your own lifew in your hands. Being a thieve is a high risk job for loosers.

But something is wrong with the law, and it needs to be fixed.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Benny V[/nom]Best Buy is right; you don't risk your life, or that of others, for the sake of gaurding a corporations property. What if the man had a weapon? What if the threat of being caught turned it into a hostage situation? Best Buy is right to enforce this rule, as it actually does the employees a service. Can you imagine if they fired people for not catching/stopping armed gunmen?[/citation]

This times ten.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I think this just sends a wrong symbel. Even though I understand where the company is comming from, the man did stop a crime in progress. Its just like good semeriten laws. We shouldent need them, they should of thought out that people would want to help others and intergrated the text accordingly.

The way things are set up helping any one out can land you a lawsuit if you happen to be in the wrong state at the wrong time, even if your doing it for your company.

This is the message we are sending to our children... Ignore the problem and let someone else deal with it.

I dont like this message, companies should take moral fiber into character when they do these reviews. Even though the guy could get fired, If hes of strong moral standing and a really good worker he shouldent loose his job if he was trying to stop an obvious crime in progress.

A warning maybe, but loosing your job to do what is right? sounds like a cookie cutter response to me, and further reinforces the image i have of bestbuy; Way to expensive, way to many headless chickens in charge.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
want to take advantage of this? Walk in the store with a mask and gloves on, take a computer, or whatever you like, and walk back out. If anyone interferes with you remind them that they can be fired for interfering due to their own policies. If they can't identify you due to the gloves and mask, they can't arrest you. If done right, you can get away with it completely. They can only blame their own policies for it.

Of course, you might want to case the place for police before trying this, as the police would not have any compunction about stopping you. Also, witnesses outside the store might also be a problem if they identify your car or see you take off the mask. The company policies aren't the only thing that might get in the way, but a policy like this certainly makes it a lot easier.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
COL you're part of the problem. That's right people like you are the problem. It's the same mindset that give theses thiefs the right to sue people after they get hurt while committing a crime. "Don't touch him it's the police job to do it", "He got hurt because you stopped him from committing a crime SUE!"..

But this is the world we live in, although I would like to think that some places are smart enough to have a case by case policy. I would understand terminating the guy if some type of lawsuit did pop up, or if somebody got hurt (other then the thief) when he tried to stop him but that is not the case here.

Also criminals should not be able to sue anybody if they get hurt because somebody went to stop them (except for over top means aka shooting somebody in the back because they took your wallet).

G

There are countries where they still cut the thief´s arm....
In our country, big stores have their own guards watching.

G

I'm sure if someone was beating an old lady in the store and he helped he'd still be fired....

Store policy may help in a court case but sometimes it's morally ridiculous

G

Jesus people, this has NOTHING to do with lawyers, or the well-being of the theif, or anything like that.

It's about keeping their customers and empoyees SAFE by discouraging heroes from turning a robbery into a hostage situation. You people need to stop thinking "Liar, Liar" and start thinking "every bank robbing movie you've ever seen"

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Company policy or not, I commend him for stopping the criminal. I know that he wasn't supposed to, but he did a good thing. That moronic criminal got what he deserved.

irsoccer05

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
@stm1185

I'm a conservative but I fail to see how liberals have anything to do with this. This is about business and avoiding lawsuits. It's unfortunate but it's also how things work.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sephir69[/nom]I'm sure if someone was beating an old lady in the store and he helped he'd still be fired.... Store policy may help in a court case but sometimes it's morally ridiculous[/citation]
Good point. What is Best Buy's policy in the case where someone is beating up an old lady? Should the employee just call the police, do nothing, standing there watching the torture? Anyone from Best Buy have a response to this?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Benny-V[/nom]Jesus people, this has NOTHING to do with lawyers, or the well-being of the theif, or anything like that.It's about keeping their customers and empoyees SAFE by discouraging heroes from turning a robbery into a hostage situation. You people need to stop thinking "Liar, Liar" and start thinking "every bank robbing movie you've ever seen"[/citation]

um...okay, If someone in store decides to rob you by first beating you down I'll just continue shopping. Actually, I would not do that, I would come to your defense regardless.

G

The employee put the lives of everyone in the store at risk by engaging the theif. If the theif, feeling threatened, had pulled a gun and SHOT SOMEONE TO DEATH, would we still be commending the employee for trying to protect some plastic? Think about it...

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I commend the guy.

Bestbuy doesn't like to keep good people working in their stores for too long otherwise they feel people might need to be compensated. They were probably looking for reasons to get rid of this guy anyway. They tend to like to keep the people that aren't all that great and don't care too much.

Just as they lose money to online retailers with better prices, they'll lose business by not keeping good people in their stores.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
As long as Best Buy has a BRIGHT LINE policy on this, i.e., it's clear that in no circumstance should an employee attempt to impede a would-be thief and that policy was expressly communicated to employees then they were justified in firing him. My guess is that they are more concerned about liability suits than the few hundred dollars for laptops.

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
i have to agree with the other poster on here ... if i am driven to crime i'll make best buy my first choice , throw on a ski mask and they will NEVER catch you ..i wonder why they even have anyone standing guard by the door if their not there to actually DO anything ?

G

@ Parrdacc, beating someone up is different than trying to walk out the door with something, which is the BB policy pertains to.

Status
Not open for further replies.