Best Buy Founder Fails to Make Company Private

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like Best Buy for their selection of TV's. That's were I always get them. I just want to be able to look at the quality of the screen before I buy and how customizable the advanced picture settings are. Plus being able to return a TV with a single bad pixel is a big plus rather than having to worry about paying return shipping costs.

Also there house brand Insignia can't be beat for quality to price ratio.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Though their prices are high, I like their price matching. I moved away from a city where there was a Microcenter and like 4 Fry's electronics. Now, I am stuck with a Fry's that is far away and Best Buy, which is all over the place. They don't overtly advertise it but they will match prices of newegg, amazon etc like Fry's does. I used to exclusively shop online, but trying out some of my gadgets every once in a while isn't too shabby. Also they have pretty good open box deals sometimes.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]CHACHOUU[/nom]What are you talking about there is a Compusa-Tigerdirect across the street from best-buy,where I live in Miami.[/citation]

Yes they have quite a few of them in Florida. I know two in Jacksonville as well. The prices are a lot better than BestBuy.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]Not the same....TigerDirect bought the CompUSA name a few years back. They also bought Circuit City's name. Those companies used to be completely separate B&M entities back in the day. Now, its just 2 more TigerDirects.[/citation]

Yeah but they sell the same stuff, and at least in Jax have the same stores.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
"Schulze reportedly wasn't able to acquire the proper debt and equity financing" Its a tough time in america when dick schultze cant get a loan.. lol

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Fry's has good deals on occasion, but their sales staff are terrible. You practically have to beg them to help you get something. Many of them stand around doing nothing and then tell you it's not their department, they should be trained so that if I know the specific item I want, they can just go and get it, you don't need specific training for that.

Best Buy could be successful if it hired people who were helpful and knowledgeable about the products. Lowe's and now Home Depot are successful specifically because they have staff who can guide you to the right product, the right sized nut, bolt, or light bulb. There are tons of people who don't know anything about electronics and so can't buy online because they don't know what to buy. But they must trust Best Buy's staff enough to seek them out and ask for advice like with Lowe's.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]azxcvbnm321[/nom]Fry's has good deals on occasion, but their sales staff are terrible. You practically have to beg them to help you get something. Many of them stand around doing nothing and then tell you it's not their department, they should be trained so that if I know the specific item I want, they can just go and get it, you don't need specific training for that[/citation]

Sorry, not at either of the 3 Frys locations in Houston. I have never had that issue.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Best Buy has been decent. There's been a few times where I got something that wasn't at another place, or got a deal that somewhere else couldn't do. There's a few things that are only $1-2 more than online (though several things that are far higher), and I don't mind paying that to get my stuff faster.But yeah, normally, this isn't the case for very expensive items[/citation]

look up the rockband 3 squire stratocaster,
best buy filled their stores with it before fulfilling preorder obligations
they screw people on prices when they are the only place in driving distance with a product (payed 20$ for a 3$ sata cable)

best buy is honestly JUST a place to window shop, you dont buy ANYTHING there besides razer products, because their extended warranty somehow with only that company resets, as in you get a mouse, it breaks, you take it in, you get a new one, you pay 20$ to reenstate the extra warranty, with anything else it reenstates it like you never used it, but razer it reenstates it like you just bought it. apparently its some deal they have with razer...

that said, the only razer product i recommend is the naga... its applications are fare more usefull outside of gaming than in gaming.

not to mention the time best buy screwed me on an extended warranty for an xbox360 telling me it was up when i still had 5 months left on it.

i despise best buy and wish they would fail and fail hard.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
STOP SELLING WARRANTIES at the cost of customer service. IT's simple, just go commission. WHy else in gods name would I want to ask someone a question that is only going to read the card right in front of them. I want someone to WANT me to know what makes product x great. The only way that will happen is if they get a reward (a comission) for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.