Best Buy: Purchase New Game for Used Price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Im sure best buy is making more then 5 or 10 dollars per game.

Ive sold games in a small retail shop, and i know at least for the small shops its only 5 or 10 dollars mark. If you sell a game for 50, the shop bought it for 45, 40 if they are lucky.

However best buy has the ability to buy 10,000 to 100,000 copies at a time, instead of 10. So, im sure they get a much better deal. They likely are making 20+ per game.

carlosmessi

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
That's what competition is all about. All the advantage to the customer, each time 2 companies are fighting and my company is not onvolved than I'm happy, because in that particular situation I'm a customer.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
This won't effect PC game prices at all. I haven't seen a single store, franchise or "Mom & Pop", "trade" PC titles since the mid-late 90's.

Console owners should be rejoicing - only the current status-quo or better new title pricing can come of it. Aren't you console owners sick of paying around $20 more for a game than the PC version anyway?

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Gee, wonder why. I guess when you can just steal the game for free, that kind of destroys any market for used games. Plus the PC market isn't big enough to support an used game industry, again due to pirating.

I doubt that Best Buy will expand this little experiment. Used games are messy, you need people to make sure the game works when repurchased and that all the manuals and so forth are there. Some games come with maps and other additional crap that is necessary. You need people who have played those games or at least understand something about games so they won't screw it up. It just seems to me that the people in Gamestop only deal with games and generally know what the current games are all about, while Best Buy people couldn't tell you what USB stands for.

The used game market is hard because you don't want to cannibalize your new game sales too much or else big problems pop up. The game makers get pissed off, and buyers might wait until they start seeing used games if they're priced too low. Well you can't get used games unless enough people buy the games new. I just have no confidence in Best Buy's ability to pull it off nationwide.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This is a good idea...

#1 they will make money of the suckers purchasing service plans.
#2 Ever find yourself @ bestbuy for something and end up getting something else as well? OHH i need batteries... OHHH i Need CD-r's

Anything that gets more people through the door is a good idea. Also this will crush two competitors.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]This is a good idea...#1 they will make money of the suckers purchasing service plans.#2 Ever find yourself @ bestbuy for something and end up getting something else as well? OHH i need batteries... OHHH i Need CD-r'sAnything that gets more people through the door is a good idea. Also this will crush two competitors.[/citation]

I agree. You can walk into best and see all the lights and hear all the sounds...makes you want to stay an buy something. I haven't been to a best buy for the longest time because of that now...

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]CaptainObvious[/nom]I miss the days of heading out to the local hobby shop to buy my computer games.The used to come in ziploc bags with discs (5.25" floppies) made by the programmer, and a handful of xeroxed pages of instructions, sometimes even in book form (though only printed on one side of the page).Unless there was good word of mouth on a game, you took your chances and payed your $10 (or there abouts) and took it home to see if it would even run (and figure out which memory settings worked best for customized autoexec.bat & config.sys files).Those were the days...CGA FTW![/citation]

Indeed! Why can't games just run less than 1MB RAM?!!? grrr LOL

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I haven't read any of the other posts.. but what I think will happen is gamestop will just stop ripping people off so much for used games are charge $10 less. What will best buy do then? They already give people maybe $25 and then sell it for $45, its not like selling it for $40 will hurt them. They may even lower the trade in value to something like $22 or $23 and there will still be people naive enough to do it.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
This is yet another plot by the evil publishers, to put the used game business out of business. They don't see a penny of the money Gamestop makes on used games and they want their cut like an Italian Mobster.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Kill@dor[/nom]I agree. You can walk into best and see all the lights and hear all the sounds...makes you want to stay an buy something. I haven't been to a best buy for the longest time because of that now...[/citation]
haha no doubt, I don't take credit cards with me when im going there anymore..
If they sold Hotdogs and beer it be an event going there. It's shopping for men...

Status
Not open for further replies.