Best Buy to Redesign Stores to Look More Like Apple Stores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]saxplayingcompnerd[/nom]I've ALWAYS hated everything apple stood for, but I went and got the newest Macbook Pro. They came out with a kick ass laptop/ultrabook that no one came anywhere close to matching as far as hardware. BTW I've noticed a few things with OS X, you know all the lock ups and random BS windows dishes out? Well that is non existent on OS X.[/citation]
The screen is nice and all, but honestly, with no optical drive, try loading BackTrack (a linux distro) on your computer when you need it.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]zulutech[/nom]The screen is nice and all, but honestly, with no optical drive, try loading BackTrack (a linux distro) on your computer when you need it.[/citation]

Thumb drive. No biggie.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Pretty much anyone that spends more than half an hour a week on Tom's (some of us a LOT more :)) knows that the people Best Buy hires are people who don't have a clue what they are selling. The salesmen/women are mostly all tech retarded. 9 times out of 10 if I ask a question about something I already know, the person I asked BS's their answer to sound smart and would have totally misled me if i didn't know what I was doing. They charge ridiculous prices for their cables I can get for 5$ on Amazon or Newegg and their stores are laid out terrible.

Geek squad charges 300$, last time I checked, to re-install Windows-the most complicated thing Geek Squad can pull off-if its part of their 'troubleshooting'. This is something that is simple to do, and if you can't do it, we here can help you through the process for free on the forums. You get much better help here than you would ever get at Geek Squad (and its free), AND you can learn how to do it next time your computer goes south. Best Buy is doomed, no matter what they do.

Apple gets their money from the sky high prices they charge. They have a ton of profit out of every single device, ripping off everyone who buys their products (some my say it is worth it, so I won't go there). Their pretty stores have nothing or little to do with how well they rake in money, its all about the prices they are charging: smart business. If you can charge as much as they do and still sell as much as they do, the company would be dumb not to keep it at what it is.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
The worst thing about Apple isn't Apple or anything to do with Apple. Its the cretinous trolling mongs that trot out the same old tired iSheep drivel that are the worst thing about Apple. :)

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jamessneed[/nom] The problem they have today is they have McDonald's quality staff trying to sell product at high end restaurant prices. If they want to charge a little more, fine but give people value otherwise they will just be a pretty window people use to look at before they head over to newegg or amazon.[/citation]
You hit it on the nail.
I was on a BestBuy store in NY (sorry I needed a laptop bag urgently) and a lady was buying a laptop and she wanted to be sure she can read PDF documents she receives by email.
The Bestbuy rep told her she could buy Adobe Reader for $159. The lady told the BB rep that on her old laptop Adobe Reader was already there when she bought it. After the BB rep insisted, I had to intervene I could not let that fly. I told her she could go online to the Adobe site and download for free. The BB rep had the audacity of arguing about the veracity of my statement. I could not help myself and I started laughing while using a floor model laptop to visit Adobe site. I just walked away in disbelieve forgetting to buy the laptop bag.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I really dont see who thinks a redesign would help their bottom line in the slightest... It sure seems like a last ditch effort to do something so they can show the bankruptcy lawyers they tried..

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I can assure you they could care a less about what a Lawyer thinks of their store. Their
spending money in attempt to get you to come in and see the new store and spend some
money while you are there. They have also added to their Appliance Department in the Big
stores, it actually looks rather nice with a huge selection.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Best Buy, you know you are going to lose some customers? The Apple Haters! You know Apple haters hates everything that bear some resemblance to Apple or any idea that comes from Apple, oh, one more, and anything that starts with an "i" :)

G

walked into best buy today, walked by 6 employees, no one offered me help. they expect the customer to walk up to a centralized location and ASK for help. Does no one know how to treat a customer anymore!!!!
Have u seen the lines at best buy at Christmas time, people are dumb and their employees are no better. they make 8 bucks an hour, they will make the best effort NOT to have u come to their register if best buy scatters them throughout the store....

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tacobravo[/nom]I agree. Too bad there are a lot of dumb people in the world to blindly buy Apple products just cuz their friends got one....If Best Buy dies, then what will I go to to see the product before I buy online?!?![/citation]

Not to mention people (hipsters) that always say people only buy Apple products because they are dumb and blindly buy Apple products cuz their friends got one. lol. Apple haters are hilarious!!! Keep it up guys!

G

Is it really copying Apple or just one of the best ex tv shows out there "CHUCK" ? Which happened to have the same set up .

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Whether the concept is valid is up for debate.

What I fear is NOT up for debate is whether BB will improve the quality and skill sets of their employees to be able to actually answer application oriented questions. As currently exists, one spends more time trying to explain a usage concept to the employee than listening to a knowledgeable employee provide optimal or additional insights.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
You can not spend years ruining your name and then thinking a redesigned layout with get your former pi$$ed off customers back.

G

As a former Staples employee, I can assure you that you (i assume best buy is same) are given little to no training whatsoever. They don't actually WANT to hire someone that knows what theyre doing because they want to sell warranties and bullshit, not serve their client.

Because I actually knew what I was doing, more often than not I could find a solution that was either a)Free or b)cheaper than what was offered in store. Doesn't inspire a lot of sales! I left that environment because I got tired of being forced to rip people off with pressure-oriented salesmanship for minimum wage and no comission.

Status
Not open for further replies.