Best cloud storage 2022 for photos and pictures: free and paid

Jul 25, 2021
Do any of these services read EXIF or other metadata as a means of searching and organizing? I’ve looked into them before and was surprised that none even recognized it.

Feb 18, 2022
I think you need to revise the Google Drive/Photos portion of the article. You state “free unlimited photo storage for photos under 16 megapixels.” That was true for a long time, but is no longer true for all users. I believe you’re now limited to the 15 GB in your Google Drive account, period, regardless of photo size.

May 27, 2022
I'd be interested to see self-hosting included in the mix, e.g. on a NAS (such as with Synology Photos) or on shared hosting with a script like Piwigo or Coppermine.

Jun 29, 2022
I am an iDrive customer for my device backup but the Photos app is simply terrible and the support is abysmal.

I have c15000 photos on my iPhone however not all photos are uploaded and others are duplicated. The viewing interface is also rather poor and a considerable step down from the capabilities of the native apple app.

With regards support I have been attempting to ascertain which is the target folder for the Photos App search and upload procedure to try and resolve my issue with missed / duplicated photos, however nobody at iDrive is able to answer this.

Comments have ranged from "Camera Roll" - which was retired with iOS 13 and "Your default camera folder" - which is no help if you are importing photos. I rather think it is the "Recents" folder but as yet nobody at iDrive has been able to confirm which folder their app targets for uploads....

I really cannot fathom the review from Tom here as I rather think he has been using a different app to the one that I have tried to use....

Jul 17, 2022
Might want to mention:

Amazon photos app. You have unlimited photo storage and 5Gb of video for prime members.

NextCloud is best if you have a NAS/Pi or hosted webspace. For example you can get 100Gb hosting with OVH and install Nextcloud on a subdomain for £2/month. Far cheaper and than paid cloud storage.

A mega cloud account will give you 50Gb free and it will sync photos with PC/phone/NAS.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022
I just subscribed to iDrive Photos yesterday. There is a dedicated backup plan with 0.99 USD for the first year. This is amazing, given the unlimited storage, with full resolution.

I allowed 3 phones (my phone and 2 family members) to sync their pictures into the cloud, and here is my finding:

I can see duplicated photos (most likely original photo taken by one of the phones followed by the photo being shared via WhatsApp). In the Photos gallery of the web interface in iDrive there is NO way you can differentiate the original (max resolution) from it's duplicates having reduced size by WhatsApp.

This sort of features are NOT described in ANY review I read about before subscribing for the plan. Maybe I should have to start writing my own reviews...

I thought I need a cost efficient photo backup, but it seems after just one day that I was wrong. I have canceled my iDrive photos account and got my 0.99 USD back in minutes. I'll be looking at more advanced cloud backup photo services to allow an easier way I can pick and select photos for my yearly photo album that I send for printing every January.