Solved! Best free antiviruses

Dec 24, 2018
Kaspersky has the most inclusive engine, with the largest signature database by far, especially for a free version. I'd rate Avira second. Avira has a unique feature in the regard that they do partial updates to signatures as much as eight times per day. I'd definitely choose one of those.

I beta test various anti-virus programs regularly, so have experience with all of them.

Link: https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Kapersky was implicated in a 'phoning home' situation a while back. I would personally avoid it.

If you have Win 10, the built in option isn't bad so long as you are aware of where you are going, what you are clicking on. Beyond that, I like Avast...but it's been a while.

Dec 24, 2018
You're certainly entitled to that opinion punkncat, although I literally get paid to be a security researcher for a living. I've run most every AV known to mankind, at least the popular ones, in a sandbox and seen no such thing. They were implicated as being malicious for political reasons and the mere fact that they're HQ'ed out of Russia. Technically speaking, all AV's "phone home". They wouldn't be much of an anti-virus solution if they didn't, now would they?

Also, Avast is OK, too. The reason I suggested Kaspersky or Avira is because their free solutions include some advanced features that other AVs charge for.

Dec 24, 2018
I have been using avast for the past 2 years or so and it hasn't let me down ever since however i know there are more better antiviruses out there which i could be using on my new Gaming PC