Best gaming laptop for $1000 and with a 15.6" screen or smaller

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Welll... the question pretty much resumes it all, just asking for a gaming laptop in the $1000 mark that's not too heavy nor too big. I almost bought a 16" one but found it to big to consider it a "portable" piece of equipment you know :D

1_What is your budget?

$1000 Max

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14"-15.6" not too heavy, not too big.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

I really don't care about that...

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Preferably the most portable it can get. I know great preformancers are a little on the heavy weight side, so just not too heavy I think.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter... more that 1 hr I think...

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Of course!
Thinking of:

Mass Effect 1 & 2 med-high
Crysis med-high
Orange Box high
Fallout 3 high
The Witcher high
Company of heroes high
Empire Total War med-high
etc etc

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Dunno... programming, visual desing, web design, basic office tasks, etc.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Dunno 250GB+ I think, If it is posible a 7200 rpm drive.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

Preferably stores (Bestbuy, Office Depot, Walmart or local Retaliers on the San Diego area)

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

More than 2 years, even if it's posible maybe 4 years. I know that laptops are the most faulty electronic devices out there but if it's not too much to ask, I would like a long term buy. I don't want to replace it in less than 2 yrs.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Whatever

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like Asus, Toshiba, Sony and MSI. Cool designs, classy, great builds, very reliable and good performance.

I don't like HP and Gateway, too faulty.

13_What country do you live in?

México, but I have a Visa and live near the border so... ;)

Solution

Newegg is a great company. I have been buying from them since 2002 and I've never had an issue with their items or customer service if there was an issue (doa). I'm sure many here will agree. But I recall you wanted to buy from a brick and mortar store so that you can see the item firsthand. If it means anything I think my G51vx is great and so do the reviewers on the Newegg website. My second hard drive caddy just arrived so I will be adding the second hard drive in raid 0 tonight.

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I thought the G51vx was the successor to the G51j with the problems fixed? That's why I bought the vx version. I haven't played any games yet with mine. I did a quick google search before buyng and now for g51vx and bsod. While there were matches they weren't specific bsod matches like when you search G51j and bsod which are many. Even on the Asus support site there was 1 bsod post under g51v but it was an Win 7 install issue while there are 4 bsod while gaming posts for the g51j.

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Thanks for the response :)
That one looks good and powerful but a little to big for mi taste...

Yes you are right,i thought it was G51J at first

Yes but you can't find a laptop with GTX 260M under $1000 except this one that i linked.
Others will be like the ASUS G51vx which taso11 recommended but its above $1000

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

Ok, good! You freaked me out a little by making me second guess my research. lol My pick is still good. :)

Thanks!

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah, I think it's great... but I really don't like to buy things so expensive without first seeing the product personally and talking to the seller to see if it's a good buy. And I'm afraid of shipping issues and stuff...

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

Newegg is a great company. I have been buying from them since 2002 and I've never had an issue with their items or customer service if there was an issue (doa). I'm sure many here will agree. But I recall you wanted to buy from a brick and mortar store so that you can see the item firsthand. If it means anything I think my G51vx is great and so do the reviewers on the Newegg website. My second hard drive caddy just arrived so I will be adding the second hard drive in raid 0 tonight.

Solution

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Looks great, I'm trying that one!