Best gaming laptop for around in the 1000-1200 range?

ElPeque2

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
EDIT: To comply with rules :D.

Oh! Sorry, i skipped the rules :).

1. What is your budget?
I'm looking around 1000. If it is something very worth it, maybe up to 1250 or so...

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15 to 17 inches aprox. Don't care too much as i intend to mostly use it with a monitor.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Highest possible, but this has no priority at all compared to performance (video card, cpu, memory, hdd :))

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

whatever is cheaper or gives more bang for the buck

5. How much battery life do you need?

not important, as much as possible, but this has very low priority as it will be plugged 99% of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yeah, definetly. I'm into progaming, so as much frames per second as possible, at the highest resolution possible. Yet i don't mind turning other graphic settings down to achieve that.

95% of the time i will be playing starcraft II :)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Gaming and internetssss

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Don't care much. I have external storage for the big stuff, i just care for performance.

I have one of this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-MZ-7PC128D-Internal-Desktop/dp/B005T3GPXE/ref=lh_ni_t i would probably try to install in it for extra performance :).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

amazon preferably, maybe newegg or tigerdirect, etc.
i prefer amazon cause it accepts my visa international that is not from US, i don't know about the rest.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A long time. I almost only play starcraft, and don't plan to play anything else :). I don't care much for being able to upgrade it, as i probably woun't, but it is important to be reliable.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?

Uruguay, but i will buy it in EEUU. That is why it is important that they accept my credit card from the internet :).

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Oh, i prefer brands like toshiba, acer, dell, hp, lenovo, etc that i know "exist" in my country so that in case i have any malfunction i can take it to repair/warranty. :D

Thank you all!

-------------------------- old message

Hello all.

Some time ago i used to be always up to date about everything in the hardware world. Prices, performance, watts, forward compatibility, benchmarks, etc.

But i stayed away from this world for quite a while, and now im dazzled with the ammount of options, etc so maybe current enthusiasts could help me finde a good deal for my money?

I want basically a "desktop replacement", so weight and batery duration is note very important. If i ever take it anywhere, like a lanparty, i will have an electricity socket nearby.

Plus, i will probably use my 32'' monitor and the laptop would be closed most of the time, so the screen is not a priority, i prefer to save bucks in that in order to have better video card or cpu, etc.

I tried newegg, but there are too many options, and i specially don't know about price/performance between ati and nvidia cards anymore.

Thank you all in advance :)

ElPeque2

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Oh! Sorry, i skipped the rules :).

1. What is your budget?
I'm looking around 1000. If it is something very worth it, maybe up to 1250 or so...

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15 to 17 inches aprox. Don't care too much as i intend to mostly use it with a monitor.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Highest possible, but this has no priority at all compared to performance (video card, cpu, memory, hdd :))

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

whatever is cheaper or gives more bang for the buck

5. How much battery life do you need?

not important, as much as possible, but this has very low priority as it will be plugged 99% of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yeah, definetly. I'm into progaming, so as much frames per second as possible, at the highest resolution possible. Yet i don't mind turning other graphic settings down to achieve that.

95% of the time i will be playing starcraft II :)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Gaming and internetssss

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Don't care much. I have external storage for the big stuff, i just care for performance.

I have one of this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-MZ-7PC128D-Internal-Desktop/dp/B005T3GPXE/ref=lh_ni_t i would probably try to install in it for extra performance :).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

amazon preferably, maybe newegg or tigerdirect, etc.
i prefer amazon cause it accepts my visa international that is not from US, i don't know about the rest.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A long time. I almost only play starcraft, and don't plan to play anything else :). I don't care much for being able to upgrade it, as i probably woun't, but it is important to be reliable.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?

Uruguay, but i will buy it in EEUU. That is why it is important that they accept my credit card from the internet :).

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Oh, i prefer brands like toshiba, acer, dell, hp, lenovo, etc that i know "exist" in my country so that in case i have any malfunction i can take it to repair/warranty. :D

Thank you all!

They're not rules. They just save a lot of time and chasing options that don't meet your requirements or looking in stores that can't ship to where you're located.

A 17" notebook will usually have a 2nd HDD/SSD drive bay that would make it easy to add a SSD yourself.

Solution