Best gaming/musical speakers and headset for complete noob :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Like the title says, I am a complete noob when it comes to audio. I can handle understanding most other computer hardware, but not audio. Unfortunately, I just purchased parts for a new rig I will build soon, and I need some sort of audio out for it. My system is used almost exclusively for gaming/listening to music/ internet, and therefore it goes without saying that my speakers, headset, whatever it is I need will be playing game sound and music. I have absolutely no where to start though. I looked on newegg for some ideas, and I get to the details and I get completely lost. Hz frequency, decibel range, all of this stuff means literally nothing to me so I was hoping some of you guys could help me out. I'm already 100$ over budget with my pc (thats a lot :/), so I'm not trying to buy something amazingly good. Which, speaking of, is there honestly a difference between audio quality of speakers / headsets??

Bass and 2 speakers honestly will most likely fit the bill if its good for gaming and music. I saw these logitechs on newegg on sale with some pretty solid reviews and was tempted to buy them. I don't have a clue what I'm doing or looking for though so I passed them up. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014

Honestly though, I'm not sure if it's speakers I need, or headphones. I like not being wired in, and I have a cheap 20$ rocketfish mic that I use for VOiP and ventrilo, but who knows, that could break anyday. Sometimes when I'm just studying or what not, it would be nice to just sit on my couch with speakers on for music. For headsets though, I have heard that turtlebeach and razer make good ones.

Trying to give you guys as much info to help me out with, but honestly I don't know what all to give you. I'll admit, I'm a complete noob at this stuff, so please be patient and go slow with me. Like I said, I'm already 100$ over budget and I'm a college student, and honestly I shouldn't be spending any more money. But I'm buying a new rig, and without sound it would just be a waste :/. Please, all of your advice is useful to me.

Thanks for reading.

Specs: Asrock z68 extreme3 Gen3
i5 2500k
cooler master 212+
msi 6950 2gb twin frozr II
OCZ ZS 750w
8GB G. Skill 1600 DDR3 Ripjaws
LG dvd-rw optical
win 7
rosewill challenger u3
western digital blue caviar 500gb

nikorr

Distinguished
And these, http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Headset-70GH014000002/dp/B0041OMWNY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top.

The are with large cushion, it is great for comfort and it isolates the sound from outside better. I like both.

Scullz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I have Logitech G35 7.1 headphones and i love them when i have to use headphones and if you saw my home theater i use as my sound u would understand then when i state this; "they sound pretty d*mn good." I use 7.2 surround with polk audio and sony as my home theater/gaming in my "man cave" lol. they are excellent sounding headphones, i think $95 bucks on amazon, just bought a pair for my bro cause his headphones broke and ive had mine for a year and a half been stepped on, run over with my computer chair, dropped, everything and still work great. i know they are close to your max budget but if you like good sound they are very good and it will cost you plenty more for a speaker system that will match the quality of these. PS toms reviewer said they are solid, good pair of headphones, look at their review of all the headphones for more info.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Mhm. They are a bit out of range :/. I am going for one of these two:

Arctic Sound P531 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826186002&Tpk=Arctic%20Sound%20P531

or the Creative Sigmas

Both of these I can get for 50 bucks. I was originally going to go with the sigmas, but the arctic's are getting very good reviews, and feature true 5.1 surround sound instead of virtual surround like the sigmas.

Need to decide tonight, what do you guys think?

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Comfortability isn't too much of an issue for me. I use pretty much a non-padded mic for vent and I'm used to it haha. How was the sound though? Whichever has the best sound / positional audio is pretty much going to get my money.

nikorr

Distinguished

I was commenting on the sound, music was great and game sound was great too.

Good piece!

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Oh okay. Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you mean't 'OK' as if they are mediocre.

What are your thoughts on the Arctic set? Also what do you think about all the durability issues that people have been having with the Sigmas? That part worries me the most.

Chris223

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
Nikorr had mentioned the Sennheiser PC 151 headphones, and considering you are on a budget (and even if you weren't) I would, without a doubt, recommend these as well.

I have been using these playing Battlefield 2, Bad Company 2, BF3, & COD MW, MW2, & MW3, combined with an X-Fi Xtrememusic soundcard for 6+ years with zero problems. Of course, I have since upgraded my graphics card, motherboard, and ram, but have yet to find a worthy replacement for my Senns, or my soundcard for that matter. (Would there be a noticeable difference in a newer card.....anyone?)

I've tried, and promptly returned the Steelseries 7H 7.1 set, and Sennheiser PC350 's (although I have read you need a beast of a soundcard to get the most benefit from the PC350's, otherwise you're wasting money :non: ) as I found that the sound on these models seemed weak or muffled. The sound volume of your own weapon firing in FPS games wasn't right in front of your face as represented on the screen, including the sounds of all the action around you. The PC 151's simply have awesome sound.

I recently purchased the Corsair Vengeance 1500' s and will be returning them as well. Not because the sound is poor by any means (I still like the Senns sound better), but because I didn't do any research about USB headsets beforehand to learn that they don't make use of your soundcard, as they have their own. If you don't have a soundcard, or are using onboard sound I would highly recommend these. For an analog headset, I stand firm on getting the Sennheiser PC 151's provided they're still available, and you have an aftermarket soundcard to use them with. :sol:

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Good to know I have other options. I do not have an aftermarket soundcard, so it looks like I'll end up sticking with the sigmas or the arctic 5.1s. What are your thoughts on those two Chris?

Chris223

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate review on those two, as I have never tried them.

With the two models I returned, even though they got good reviews, to me the sound was very mediocre. Unfortunately, sometimes what you read vs. what you hear varies. I personally use PC Gamer magazine's reviews (and recently Tom's) as gospel to help me decide on what to buy considering they were the ones who steered me to my present set. I can only recommend reading different reviews from the more well known sites, and come to your own conclusion.

That being said, considering Tom's pointed out the Sigmas as the best budget choice, that would certainly sway me in their direction. The bonus is that they have the option of using either analog or usb connections. That gives you the flexibility of achieving even better sound via analog, if you decide to pair them with a decent soundcard at a later date. :sol: I'm sure you could find some older X-Fi models for cheap online. As for the Arctic's, you're S.O.L. considering they're USB only, so what you see is what you get. :(

Best of luck!!

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Mhm. Nikorr did point me toward a very cheap but very nice 10$ sound card, but I'm not an audiophile and don't think I would be able to tell the difference between my mobo and a sound card, so I think I'll pass up. The Sigmas I'm pretty sure do sound better than the Arctics, and may even have better sound positioning. What worries me the most, and it's something that Tom's Review didn't really touch on, was it's durability/ lifespan. I've heard of some people having problems with the mic and wiring problems. It may just be a sensitive headset, or people may be careless :p, but I just hope I didn't buy into a mic that is going to fail in a few months :/.

Chris223

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
For a $10 soundcard, no, you wouldn't notice a difference. If anything, it would be a step down in quality vs what your motherboard's onboard sound can offer. You would be better off to wait until you can afford an X-Fi card. There are X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound cards on Ebay for as low as $45, which would be a significant improvement over onboard sound.

As for the lifespan, I wouldn't particularly worry about that. Tom's review does state about the Sigma's, "Our only concern here is the audio cable. Most of the models in our round-up employ sturdy, braided cable. Creative, however, opts for a thin, flat ribbon cable that seems less durable. Since most of the headsets we've ever owned failed when contacts between the remote and cable wore over time, this is one area where cost-cutting isn't good." <- Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

My Senns use just regular old cable, and not the braided type, and they're still functioning just fine. Outside of the 1 year warranty Creative offers, provided they consistently make a smooth trip from your desk to your head and vice versa, I'm sure you would get plenty of years use out of them. I would be concerned in their lifespan if it was a lesser known manufacturer, whereas Creative is one of the more well-known companies.