Best laptop for 3d modelling and rendering (Revit, 3ds, rhino & V-ray)

nelisa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello all! I am a 3rd year interior architecture student. I'd like to get a laptop powerful enough to model and render. I already have a pretty powerful desktop but I will be studying abroad next year and even tho the university abroad has computers, I would still prefer to work on my own computer. It doesn't necessarily need to render fast it just needs to be able to actually do it.

I have been reading and asking around and the consensus on my options are Asus, Lenovo, Dell (M6500 or an xps) and MacbookPRO. I am a mac person but if in this case its a better idea to go for one of the others then I will. I tried going to the ASUS site and immediately got lost and overwhelmed. There are SO many options I have no idea what would be my best bet. Also can you give me the cheapest option along with the best option? Just in case I can't afford the best option I'd like to know how much I can take out. Help?

1. What is your budget?
$1, 000-$2, 000 although the less the better of course

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" and up

3. What screen resolution do you want?
don't really care

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
.........huh? sorry, again, not very great with computers other than architecture stuff.

5. How much battery life do you need?
a bit more than 2 hours for sure

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
nop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Adobe products. Modelling on Revit, Rhino, 3dsmax and sketchup. Rendering on Revit, V-Ray and 3ds

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible? This is another reason why I like Macs, I've had my Macbook PRO for 5 1/2 years and have had NO problems with it and still runs perfect. So yeah, I'd like my new laptop to be around for quite awhile.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don't really have a preference.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Mac
Lenovo
ASUS
Dell (I don't LOVE dells but I have to admit it has a lot to do with how they look physically and that is not really as important as how good it works, so again, very open to options.)
13. What country do you live in?
Kansas, USA (Puerto Rico is home so I live there during holidays so I might get it sent there since Summer is almost here)

Thanks!

Solution

Sager is a great brand and their laptops offer a great price/performance ratio along with good build quality.
Both AMD/Nvidia cards are good,it depends on the model you're considering

nelisa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I LOVE macs. However, I would like to consider cheaper options. One thing I love about macs is durability. I've had my macbook pro for 6 years and counting. Never had any problems which can't really be said for most dells and other computers. BUT if there is a cheaper option that has everything I need and is also durable, I might go with that :)

Sager NP5160 is a great choice
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5160-clevo-w150hn-p-2999.html
Also consider Dell XPS 15

nelisa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Wow. Those specs for that amount its tempting. But oh man I am way behind, forgive me if I am a little hesitant since I've never heard of either Satori or Sager :/ Do you know if they are reliable? Are their laptops durable? How's their support?

I have an extra question now, are the NVIDIA GE or Quadro cards better than the AMD ones? It seems like apple recently switched to amd but I've heard nvidia are the best, so I'm confused now.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Without a doubt for the applications you are looking at, it is better to get a professional type graphics adapter.
the Nvidia Quadro or ATI/AMD FireGL cards will serve you much better than all the high -endish gaming versions.
personally I would go for the Dell Precision models and get the completecare so that Dell has to fix it no matter what, especially if you are going to be traveling.
its not a case if if something gets broken, but WHEN>
they are highly durable units.
plus you can go to the dell business outlet and get a great deal on one with a scratch or something, and save hundreds.

Sager is a great brand and their laptops offer a great price/performance ratio along with good build quality.
Both AMD/Nvidia cards are good,it depends on the model you're considering

Solution

nelisa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I'm in between a dell, samsung or sager so I still have a lot of researching to do before the final decision but it is great to have choices and to know what to look for now :D Thanks again!!

nelisa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I really was until I saw that bestbuy lowered their Samsung RC512 from $1200 to $999 which is...kinda perfect. I'm just being a little bit of a coward about this. Even $999 is so much money. I'm definitely buying a computer its just taking me a while to decide because I want to make the right decision if I'm gonna be out $1000-$1200.

Lately I've been wondering if going with an i5 with 8gb RAM would be almost the same thing as an i7 with 6 gb. If this is laughable then woops, sorry again, I don't really know much about computers which is why I came here :) It's been so helpful!

Samsung RC512 from bestbuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/Graphite/2235132.p?id=1218315006844&skuId=2235132

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

not laughable its a decent question but no stop thinking that lol. get a quad core if your going to be rendering as ram is really cheap. id recommend buying a laptop that will support up to 16gb of ram as that will be very important if you have larger scenes and file sizes. i actually highly recommend more ram but a quad core is more important right now