Best Laptop for Development and Gaming

darien123

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Hello,

So I am heading into my sophomore year in college as a Computer Science major, and can no longer deal with the tediousness of having to do all my work on the lab machines. I need a laptop that can deal with development, imaging, and other CPU intensive projects. Because of this, I would prefer a i7 7700 HQ, but would go with an i7 6700 HQ as a minimum. I also need a good battery (8 hours plus and removable). I would prefer the screen size of around 15.6", and need SSD storage (at least 256 GB). A 1080 x 1980 FHD display is fine, but 4k would be nice. If it doesn't go over budget too much, I would also prefer a GPU that is able to run games like CS:GO, Overwatch, Men of War: AS 2, etc.

My problem is that I cannot find a decently priced computer with those specs. The ones I find that are within my price range (around 1,000) have older processors, or have other deficiencies like battery life. I found the Acer Predator Helios 300 for 1,100 dollars, insanely powerful laptop, but with a non-removable battery that gets too low of hours for my needs.

Can anyone give me a pointer to a good brand to look at? Thanks!

Solution

bjornl

Estimable
Solution

darien123

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
@bjornl

I have read reviews stating that those computers don't have very good build qualities and are unreliable. Not sure if that is true or not. If I do not find a better laptop within a month, I will probably end up having to buy it, though.

bjornl

Estimable

I've had pretty good luck with Dells. We use them at work too. Overall build quality is not perfect but decent when considered within that price class.

TRENDING THREADS