Question Best Laptop for me

Jun 27, 2020
Hello all,

I would like a laptop preferably from the Asus Zenbook series (regular or 2 in 1), but would be willing to try others such as HP and Dell if it is much better. I would like a laptop that is portable because I carry it around a lot, so prefer ultrabooks if it does not compromise the performance very much. I would like a 13 to 14 inch laptop, maximum 15 inch. I am definitely not a gamer.

My main uses would be:

1. for studies (internet browsing, YouTube videos, Word, Excel) - 80% of the time this would be the use

2. basic CAD software - ActCAD (I am a novice with it, but want to attempt it with as a hobby.)
The requirements listed on the software only say:
"OS: Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10
CPU : 1GHz & Above (dual core or above) - 64bit/32bit
RAM : 3GB or above
Hard Disk : 5GB Free Space
Graphics Card : Not compulsory for normal users, but recommended to handle heavy drawings and models(Drivers must be upto date)"

3. basic video editing (I just do basics such as trimming, green screen, combining clips)

4. watching sport

I was looking at the ASUS ZenBook Flip 14 Ultra Slim Convertible Laptop, 14” UX461FN-DH74T -
Full HD WideView, 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8565U, Quad core, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, GeForce MX150, Windows 10

Would this work for my purposes or is it too slim?

I was also considering other Asus Zenbooks such as the Zenbook Pro 14 (ASUS ZenBook Pro UX480). Is this a good option (compared to the above.) My budget is around $1,500 with tax. I thought I had found the right laptop when I discovered the Dell XPS 15 with Nvidia graphics (i7), but it turned out to be over my budget. Is it true that Nvidia graphics would suit my purposes better?

Any other models by other brands are welcome. By any chance, is i5 okay or would i7 be much better for my purposes?

Thank you.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I think your pick would be fine at least with respect to the specifications. If you are doing video editing, you absolutely want a discrete video card, and I am surprised that your CAD software specs are so low.

Also, you want a quad core i7 - the mobile processor you picked is fine and should work.

No matter what, you should watch youtube video reviews on any system you are thinking of buying and if you want to keep the laptop for as long as possible, you should spend as much as your budget will allow.

I suggest getting a system with upgradable RAM and HDD/SSD. The SSD should preferably be a M.2 drive and it is even better if you have a 2nd drive slot (either M.2 or SATA).

R

Jun 27, 2020
Thank you all for your replies.

I think I will stay with the previous CAD software, but just wondering - would the laptop meet these software requirements?

Min. System Req.:

Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / Win. 7 Pro SP2
Pentium II – class processor w/MMX
64MB RAM
60MB free hard drive space
16-bit color min.,(24-bit) recommended
800x600 or higher screen resolution, 1024x768 recommended
USB drive for installation of backup USB Drive

cactuspete23

Estimable
Feb 27, 2017
Just saw this on sale at DELL. It has graphics card and 15 Inch screen. This 15 inch is same size as older 14 inch screen because the border around the screen is much narrower/thinner. Price is $849. 10th Gen 5 Series Processor! Only 8GB of RAM, but that 4GB Graphics card more than makes up for it. Light CAD work should be no problem. IF you need more storage, you can buy a 5TB external HDD for under $100.
Just my opinion... https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...top/spd/vostro-15-7500-laptop/smv157w10pc1001

Apr 21, 2020
Hello all,

I would like a laptop preferably from the Asus Zenbook series (regular or 2 in 1), but would be willing to try others such as HP and Dell if it is much better. I would like a laptop that is portable because I carry it around a lot, so prefer ultrabooks if it does not compromise the performance very much. I would like a 13 to 14 inch laptop, maximum 15 inch. I am definitely not a gamer.

My main uses would be:

1. for studies (internet browsing, YouTube videos, Word, Excel) - 80% of the time this would be the use

2. basic CAD software - ActCAD (I am a novice with it, but want to attempt it with as a hobby.)
The requirements listed on the software only say:
"OS: Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10
CPU : 1GHz & Above (dual core or above) - 64bit/32bit
RAM : 3GB or above
Hard Disk : 5GB Free Space
Graphics Card : Not compulsory for normal users, but recommended to handle heavy drawings and models(Drivers must be upto date)"

3. basic video editing (I just do basics such as trimming, green screen, combining clips)

4. watching sport

I was looking at the ASUS ZenBook Flip 14 Ultra Slim Convertible Laptop, 14” UX461FN-DH74T -
Full HD WideView, 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8565U, Quad core, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, GeForce MX150, Windows 10

Would this work for my purposes or is it too slim?

I was also considering other Asus Zenbooks such as the Zenbook Pro 14 (ASUS ZenBook Pro UX480). Is this a good option (compared to the above.) My budget is around $1,500 with tax. I thought I had found the right laptop when I discovered the Dell XPS 15 with Nvidia graphics (i7), but it turned out to be over my budget. Is it true that Nvidia graphics would suit my purposes better?

Any other models by other brands are welcome. By any chance, is i5 okay or would i7 be much better for my purposes?

Thank you.
Thank you!

Personally I don't trust ASUS - I think it's the worst laptop ever. It's the only laptop I ever had an identity theft on. I always used Dell and had no issues. I was in Florida and used my friend's Asus when I was there all winter because my laptop died and I didn't have money to buy a new one -- and I had two identity thefts from the laptop. I had the same anti virus on there I had on my dell and on my previous HP. Now with Dell both my sister and I have issues with the Windows 10 updates but my sister has an HP desktop and no issues -- so my next one will be an HP from now on. Just my opinion -- Asus is a crap laptopI think - cheap and not as fast as Dell or HP

Jun 27, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes, that would be a reason to go with another brand.

Personally I don't trust ASUS - I think it's the worst laptop ever. It's the only laptop I ever had an identity theft on. I always used Dell and had no issues. I was in Florida and used my friend's Asus when I was there all winter because my laptop died and I didn't have money to buy a new one -- and I had two identity thefts from the laptop. I had the same anti virus on there I had on my dell and on my previous HP. Now with Dell both my sister and I have issues with the Windows 10 updates but my sister has an HP desktop and no issues -- so my next one will be an HP from now on. Just my opinion -- Asus is a crap laptopI think - cheap and not as fast as Dell or HP