Best Laptop for School/Entertainment for $500-$650

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014
I'm currently in the market for a new laptop for school and entertainment. I plan to use it for watching movies/tv shows, writing essays/programming, and some light gaming. I don't need it to have a dedicated GPU since I have a desktop for gaming, I'd like it to have a touch screen for playing osu!, and a good keyboard is very important to me. I'd also like it to have a minimum of 6gb of ram, that way I'm able to have as many tabs open in chrome as I like.

From my own research I've come up with the Lenovo G510s as being the best solution, but it's not perfect and online reviews are sparse so I'd like to get some opinions from you guys before I rush into anything.

Clamtickle

Estimable
May 9, 2014
Well, when I saw this, I immediately thought the Asus S550CA-DS51T vivobook would fit for you. It meets your required specifications of having a minimum of 6GB or ram (it does) and it is touchscreen. I have a similar model, an Asus s500c, and the how Asus has done the touchscreen on these laptops if phenomenal. I never have any problems when using mine. The Asus S550CA-DS51T also has an Intel core i5 processor which is different compared to the Lenovo g510s (well, there are 2 g510s models that have i5's, the others have an i3 and an Intel Pentinum). Overall, the reviews are good for this laptop, and they are much better than the reviews for the Lenovo G510s.

The only problems you will have is the price for this one. The Asus S550CA-DS51T tends to be around $600 to $700 dollars so you might be paying a little extra, but the laptop is totally worth it. The other problem I have found with this laptop, is the charger, being smaller than a normal charger. You can probably get a bigger charger, but the one it comes with works fine. The battery life on this is around 4 hours (if you play games once and a while), so it would be perfect for some school time.

This is probably one of the better to best touch screen vivobooks out on the market, and I hope you look into purchasing it. Hope this guides you in the right direction.

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion Clamtickle, but I'm not sure that's the right laptop for me. For the specs you're getting that feels a little overpriced. The G510s I found has a core i5 4200M, intel hd graphics 4600, and 8gb of ram for only $599, though that Asus does seem to have a better screen. I'm also seeing people saying the keyboard is poor, which is a big deal breaker for me. Being a software engineering major I'll be doing a lot of coding and I need a keyboard that won't mistype or not register my keystrokes.