Best laptop manufacturer 2010

alexchadwick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking to buy myself a new laptop in the near future, I've had my laptop for 5+ years and it still hasn't failed me yet, so I figured I might stick with the brand, which is Advent (its a 7105 incase anyone cares).

My problem is that I can't seem to research new laptops like I thought I would be able to, and I've only been able to drege up details like video card - intergrated, etc.

I'm not expecting anyone to pick me out a laptop, I'm more looking for insider tips or somewhere that will give a accurate assessment, like wether the rams expandible and what model the integrted video card is? Stuff like that, also if anyone brand is known to deal in more sturdy laptops.

I get that the main brands also buy their laptops from different manufacturors, are any of these to be avoided?

Sorry for the long post and thank you.

rpg123

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Lots of reviews here, http://www.notebookcheck.net/

My personal preference is Dell - troublefree for years and well designed - Amd/Ati. I bought an Asus for my sister which she is very happy with except for unusually weak speakers - Intel/Intel. I bought a HP for a girlfriend, ok for internet, but it would overheat and shut down if you played a game for 30+ minutes, also had a long thin power connector that was always in danger of being broken off - Amd/Nvidia. My next laptop will likely be a Dell or Acer (from reading reviews) - Intel/Ati.

It's a matter of personal preference when it comes to choosing a new laptop. I've found brands like HP/Compaq and Acer to be unreliable, but other have, which is alright. Brands that I think are reliable include Asus, Dell, and Toshiba. Usually the ram in a laptop is already maxed out these days, but anything from 4-6GB will do the job for just about anything. Finally, in regard to the video card, regardless of whether they are integrated or dedicated, they are hard to upgrade. Your best bet is to find the best one possible that will last you for as long as you want to keep the laptop.

redrabbit803

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
What is did when I first looked for a laptop is that I started by narrowing down the specs I wanted. CPU,RAM GPU, ports, ect. Give or take depending on the price and features. After a narrowed down a few laptops I'd go to the manufactures website and download the manuals so that I had a good idea of what I could upgrade. Note:some manuals are a bit vague when it comes to upgrading the graphics which brings me to the 3rd thing I like to look up. Reviews. Just google the model number for reviews. Just remember professional of not. Whether it's on the forums or some random video on youtube it will often yield some valuable information. All in all this is all very time consuming. I ended up getting a MSI GE600-002US for about $900 which I'm happy with. 5% off using bing cashback

Intel Core i5 430M
4GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
320GB

Grahics card is dedicated and I can switch between ATI and Intels to save power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152190

Also AVOID main brands. HP/Compaq loads their laptops full of bloatware.