Status
Not open for further replies.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Really? C'mon now. This is nowhere near the "Best PC-only titles". Ever hear of WoW? Starcraft II? Diablo III? Star Wars:TOR? etc. This is not even mentioning all the other huge MMOs, strategy, and sims out there just for PC (plus the hordes of South Korean titles about to explode)
Change the title to "Most Unique / Varied PC only titles" or something and remember that the word "best" actually means The BEST.

Jill Scharr

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hi old_newbie, thanks for commenting! WoW, Starcraft, Diablo III and The Old Republic are great picks for best PC-only games. However, the word "best" usually means "best in my opinion" or "best according to these criteria." And these are the "best" in my opinion. I did try to pick unique and varied games, as you point out, which is why I only chose two MMOs (or rather, an MMO and a MOBA, if you prefer).

So if you were to choose 7 best PC-only games, which would you choose? (Diablo III won't count as a PC only game in just over a month, when it comes to Xbox 360 and PS3!) We're talking about it on the Tom's Guide forums, too, by the way: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1668831/games.html

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Really? C'mon now. This is nowhere near the "Best PC-only titles". Ever hear of WoW? Starcraft II? Diablo III? Star Wars:TOR? etc. This is not even mentioning all the other huge MMOs, strategy, and sims out there just for PC (plus the hordes of South Korean titles about to explode)
Change the title to "Most Unique / Varied PC only titles" or something and remember that the word "best" actually means The BEST.

jryder

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I would rank the best PC only games like this, and I think critical and mass fan reaction is more consistant with my list:

(1) SC2 (and expansion)
(2) WoW (and various expansions)
(3) Civ 5 (and various expansions)
(4) DoTA2

Silzar

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Seriously? Did you actually forgot about Minecraft?
Please add the best indie game since...like ever.

Jill Scharr

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
@silzar Minecraft would be on this list if it was a PC-only game! But because you can get Minecraft on pretty much every single gaming platform there is, I didn't include it in this list.

@jryder Word. I'm sure you're right about mass fan perception too.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
ARMA 1, 2, 3 ?
Love to see someone with a console or tablet play a game that requires more than 100 control keys!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Interesting recommendation on 'To The Moon'. I did a little research on the game after it was mentioned here, and when I get a chance I'll give it a try. Thanks!

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
FTL does not "uses some fancy coding to randomly design enemy ships, enemies, loot and more"

It randomises the star systems but the ships, items, enemy design etc are all hard coded. As a game of a fixed length that can be completed in 30-40 minutes (but requires many playthroughs to unlock everything) is the very antithesis of 'Open ended'

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
FTL Quests you to "Deliver a package" eh?

News to me, and i'm 80 hours in it, this whole time I thought you were trying to destroy the federation mothership.

Merovius

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Wow, Guild Wars II, really?1?!? I guess if you like MMOs that completely break the holy trinity and make class roles useless... Really!?! I suppose if youre into MMOs where skill trees are worthless and only one spec is viable...really?!?! If you like fighting in scrums in a populous area and hitting F to loot and subsequently triggering all surrounding NPC conversation then sure....REALLY!?!?

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
It is worth mentioning that all the best strategy games are PC-only. From the entire Total War series, to Crusader Kings II (pure genius), King's Bounty series, Heroes of Might and Magic, Sports Management games like Football Manager, 4x games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations II, and Frozen Synapse (now available for Android though). Of course there are also many plain games such as Torchlight II, Gunpoint and others. Still, I think the area where game selection on the PC outweighs all consoles by 10 to 1 at least, is strategy games.

Hedobum

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Wait a sec....why isn't Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards included in this list? Who can resist those 8bit graphics?

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
As far as MMO's go WoW has million of users still , not sure how many of those actually play - The game was amazing for its time but now its pleagued with inbalances and a game that has been recycled so much , The Original devs of WoW quit and went on to make the free to play full featured MMO RIFT! . its superior to WoW in every way xcept that there are no arenas . IF you are a high level player thats def a game to try

Status
Not open for further replies.