Best place to buy laptop parts

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Was just slightly curious as I had seen that it is possible to build a laptop and was wondering where you get parts from. Irish or UK sites please.

Any help much appreciated.

Solution
There are barebones kits for sure. Scan.co.uk tends to carry Laptops CPUs, but they don't seem to carry laptop GPUs.

2.5" drives in both SSD and mechanical can be bought anywhere. M.2 and mSATA drives are the same. Laptop memory can be bought pretty much anywhere as well.

What has to almost universally be purchased together are the motherboard, chassis/screen, and fan/heatsinks. Laptops with socketed CPUs and GPUs in the MXM form factor can be upgraded, but only within the thermal restrictions of the platform.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
There are barebones kits for sure. Scan.co.uk tends to carry Laptops CPUs, but they don't seem to carry laptop GPUs.

2.5" drives in both SSD and mechanical can be bought anywhere. M.2 and mSATA drives are the same. Laptop memory can be bought pretty much anywhere as well.

What has to almost universally be purchased together are the motherboard, chassis/screen, and fan/heatsinks. Laptops with socketed CPUs and GPUs in the MXM form factor can be upgraded, but only within the thermal restrictions of the platform.

Solution

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
@Eximo I cant find the barebones kits on scan could you link it to me it's probably really obvious but I really can't see it

@Vembutech I wanted to build a laptop not a desktop, believe me I know about pcpartpicker:p

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Most barebones laptop kits I have seen show up on ebay. Not really any particular store that I can think of that carries them.

Plenty of places that will build you a laptop with all kinds of parts. Clevo chassis are interesting, and they supply many of the 'gaming' chassis to OEMs. They even make a few laptops that use desktop CPUs with laptop GPUs.

Companies like Sager use them as well. They can be found at sites like Xoticpc.com.