Best Smart Garage Door Openers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanellistonn

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Wow Amazing idea! easy and simple way to re-align the garage door opener. Thank you sharing this wonderful idea. thumbs up!

jim_g52

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
From what I've been able to discover, Chamberlain has pulled support for SmartThings, and their MyQ openers are no longer compatible with that system. Getting MyQ openers to work with Alexa takes some effort.

mburke121

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
From my experience, you cannot use Alexa to open MyQ-equipped garage doors, even with the IFTTT app/link and the Chamberlain subscription. It will only work to close the garage door. From researching this, Chamberlain will apparently not allow door opening without a pin, and their is currently no pin support with IFTTT. If someone knows something I don't know, I'm all ears.

May 23, 2018
I was an early adopter of the Chamberlain, and was initially disappointed that, while it could pair with IFTTT (free of charge at that time), they refused to let the system be used as a "Then" action, only as "If" triggers...for "safety reasons" (the example given was that closing the door could crush a child, insert eye roll here). I gave up on integrating it with anything other than my security system, which essentially just groups it with my Nest thermostat into a one-stop dashboard on my phone that I almost never use.
When I was setting up my new Google Home Minis, and saw that Chamberlain was available, I got SO EXCITED, and was even more disappointed that they'd gone back on their "safety concerns" BS in favor of trying to swindle users for subscriptions for each. individual. service. Wanna pair with Google Assistant, which would let you voice operate your door? That'll be $10/year (at the discounted bulk rate). Double that if you also want to pair it with IFTTT. I'd love to find the person responsible for this and punch them in the throat, twice a month. But I'll do it at a discounted rate so they only get 20 punches per year instead of 24. Jerks.

Jun 2, 2018
Before you purchase a smart garage door controller, check out the Tailwind iQ3 at gotailwind.com. The Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller used with the Tailwind Smart app (iPhone & Android) is the most feature rich and secure garage door controller available today. The Tailwind iQ3 is easy to install and can open, close, and monitor up to three garage doors. It works with Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT. Tailwind iQ3 senses you coming and automatically opens the correct garage door. It also has a night mode to make sure your door is closed. Go to gotailwind.com and see for yourself. I know first hand because I purchased one and use it every day. It is really cool to watch my garage door open automatically as I pull into my driveway.

Jun 18, 2018
When will garage doors with HomeKit built in be released? Have 3 garage doors aging and would be more beneficial to just replace whole unit then to buy these adding, plus a cleaner setup

Dec 9, 2019
Your December 2019 version of this article notes that Best Buy Insignia model has had its smart functionality discontinued. Is this a risk with all brands? Will they cease to operate if the company folds or if they decide to discontinue the product? Will the products loose all functionality or just some? Isn't this information that is worth knowing? Shouldn't it have been mentioned?

Reactions: trteknet

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
Your December 2019 version of this article notes that Best Buy Insignia model has had its smart functionality discontinued. Is this a risk with all brands? Will they cease to operate if the company folds or if they decide to discontinue the product? Will the products loose all functionality or just some? Isn't this information that is worth knowing? Shouldn't it have been mentioned?

It's a potential issue with any connected device—even Amazon and Google—so it's a risk you take when purchasing any smart home product.

Mar 9, 2020
Your March 3rd(?) 2020 update to this article states that one no longer needs to register a subscription in order for the Chamberlain MYQ-G0301 to function with Google. Is that the paid subscription ($1/MO / $10/yr) fee that they are describing?

I've also found it a bit confusing about the "it works with Google Assistant, but not Google Home" comments I've read in various product reviews. Can you shed some light on these issues for clarity? Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.