Best Smart Smoke Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
Could any of these be used without a home hub? My parents are looking to add only a smart smoke detector, so I am hoping to find a solution that does not require a hub, and instead connects directly to Wi-Fi with an app for remote monitoring/management (functioning similar to how many smart thermostats don’t require a hub, such as nest or ecobee).

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013

Actually, none of these require a hub - they all connect directly to Wi-Fi.

Jan 30, 2019
The Nest Protect doesn't work with Alexa. Alexa/Echo has only skills for the Thermostat and Camera products from Nest. I've just checked with Nest Support.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
The Nest Protect doesn't work with Alexa. Alexa/Echo has only skills for the Thermostat and Camera products from Nest. I've just checked with Nest Support.

Good catch. When Google decided to move people away from Nest to Google Assistant accounts, almost all of this functionality was lost. We've updated the story.

Sep 23, 2020
You need to update your review on Nest Protect to include that it DOES NOT work with IFTTT. It no longer works with Hue lights, which is why I bought it in the first place. Also, you don’t have a choice but to connect your Nest account to Google.

We had a Nest Protect in the house we sold before we moved, and when Google took away the IFTTT capability, the lights immediately stopped working with it when the alarm went off. Also, the app stopped pushing notifications. Not good for deaf people. That being said, we are not purchasing a Nest Protect for the new house we are currently building.

Status
Not open for further replies.