Best Smartphone Cameras 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Mike, your missing the newest Android beat, the LG G2, which stomps the Galaxy S4 and in my opinion trumps the iCrap by far..

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
When did the amazing Apple 5S come out with those industry-shaking new features ("In addition to HDR and Panorama modes, you can now shoot slow-motion videos. Plus, there's a Burst mode that lets you capture up to 10 frames per second.") No other phones ever had those features (except all of the ones you listed and the 4S, etc.) Amazing firsts! (first after it already being done multiple times over the last couple of years.

You meant to title the article, "Apple iPhone 5C has the best iPhone camera Apple has ever had"

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Nokia Pro Cam or Smart Cam can do pretty much everything the S4 can (and more), except for taking pictures with both cameras at the same time. 1020 is simply the best out of the bunch.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
HTC One? Not even an honorable mention?

Anyway this article looks more than advertisement than actual information.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
LMAO cannot give an ounce of credibility to an article that has the nerve to say the iPhone 5 camera is better than the Nokia Lumia 1020.

More paid iPhone advertisements masquerading as non biased reviewers.

hardcoreplur

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Sorry, the Lumia 1020 wins on all the categories. Windows Phone with the Lens feature dwarfs all the other phones in the list. My 920 can do animated gifs too. And the iPhone 5s is a joke including its camera.

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I haven't used them but seeing how the article is purely about best camera phone and Samsung S4 is listed as a winner, wouldn't the "S4 Zoom" beat the S4 is terms of the camera? But not a single mention anywhere?!

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I've read the description of the Galaxy S4 features and you can do all of that on any Lumia Phone. They're not ALL tied into one nifty arranged interface, but you can still do them.

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
What a joke, iphone beating the lumia 1020 for best smartphone camera overall award.

I'd really like to know the justification behind this as the award implies that its based on the best smartphone CAMERA... the iphone 5s is not even in the same class of camera as the 1020, both in low light and pretty much every other category I can think of.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
"How much apple paid you to write this article?"

My guess would be that they get paid by Apple just as much as Google and Microsoft pay you to go around second guessing other sites that dare mention Apple in a good light.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Finding any excuse to put any phone camera above the Nokia 1020 is - very questionable. It is so far above any of the others there simply is no question at all.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
Hi guys - Mike Here. Thanks for all your comments. We've actually been testing the iPhone 5s and Lumia 1020 side by side and the iPhone's image quality is actually better thus far. However, when you take advantage of the Lumia 1020's manual settings, you can get fantastic results (http://blog.laptopmag.com/lumia-1020-amazing-pictures-samples). That's why we believe the 1020 the better camera phone for power users, but the iPhone 5s is best overall.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I think the phones that were chose to compare are good but I also think there should be two more, the HTC One since it uses a very different approach to capturing good low-light images by having three sensors in parallel, and one of the new Moto's like the Moto X or the Droid Maxx. These also use a new "Clear Pixel" technology that sort of does a PenTile thing and replaces some color subpixels with subpixels that collect brightness data - from what I understand. None of the phones you covered use either of these technics and it would be nice to see them compared. Also, I believe the HTC One has the largest sensor at f/2.0 which should give it an advantage. The Nokia may be tied with that.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I think the phones that were chose to compare are good but I also think there should be two more, the HTC One since it uses a very different approach to capturing good low-light images by having three sensors in parallel, and one of the new Moto's like the Moto X or the Droid Maxx. These also use a new "Clear Pixel" technology that sort of does a PenTile thing and replaces some color subpixels with subpixels that collect brightness data - from what I understand. None of the phones you covered use either of these technics and it would be nice to see them compared. Also, I believe the HTC One has the largest sensor at f/2.0 which should give it an advantage. The Nokia may be tied with that.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Does the iPhone 5S still use a Sapphire lens? Apple should have learned was a bad idea from the iPhone 5. Apple doesn't always learn things very well or quickly. The Sapphire lens causes nasty purple lens flair in some lighting conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.