Best Smartphone Cameras 2016 (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG2016

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Along this same conversation, I had purchased the Samsung Note 7 and had to return it for the recall. . . .now was I'm waiting to see what they are going to do, I see the specs for the New LG V20 and the rumored specs for the upcoming SonyXperia XZ. . . .what are your thoughts on those in relation to the cameras on the phones, etc

cnemo013

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I don't know why a great camera is so important on a smartphone. Most people take pictures to post on Facebook or Instagram and probably never look at the picture on the phone again. I think we should be focusing on speed, display quality, data speeds, call quality and probably the most important thing should be battery life. I think we're point here.

daNUL

Estimable
May 3, 2014
The Z3 and Z5 phones are great (I've had both) but the camera is quite poor quality in today's standards. Unless you're under a bright clear blue sky, almost all photo's appear quite dull and lifeless. Twilight/night time shots even in manual mode with maximum exposure leave a lot to be desired.

To be honest the z5 (compact for me) would be the perfect phone if only it had a larger sensor with only 8 - 12mp captures (most people only save at 8mp anyway). The 23mp is for spec sheet comparison only, and is no reflection of quality, if anything it's worse as it makes shots take considerably longer (have you ever taken a photo on a current iPhone, Samsung or LG G4/5?).

R3uben

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
In my opinion, the images from the HTC10 are better than ones from the s7. The s7 may have advantages with slightly faster focusing, but I prefer the images that the htc produce. DXOmark also rank the HTC as the current top camera phone.

Emperor Akashi

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I think everyone really forgot the Nokia 808 Pureview and Lumia 1020........
This is the real ranking.
1. Nokia Lumia 1020
2. Nokia 808 Pureview
3. Iphone 7
4. Microsoft Lumia 950 or 950 XL
5. Samsung Galaxy S7

R3uben

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

Aweful ranking.
1. Lumia 1020
2. Pixel XL
3. HTC 10
4. S7
5. 808 pureview
6. iPhone 7

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Wow ... you guys might want to indicate in your article body that now's not the best time to buy a Galaxy Note 7 on eBay or craigslist ...

Farmgirlwa

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hi there, could someone please help, i'm ready for a new phone, i've gone off of Iphones, i currently have a Iphone 6 plus, which doesn't focus and has extremely poor audio. only by searching on the internet i found out there was a problem with that series, since i live in the country it's a bit hard to go visit the apple store. I was looking at the new Google Pixel, but now found that has camera problems as well. All i am looking for is a phone that has a reliable camera, (and is a good phone as well of course haha) is anyone got any good suggestions? i'm going around in circles, thanks heaps

sm7x7

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Lumia 1020. Best. RAW images of 39mp. It's cheap now to buy it online because of masses went after hype, and true pros have huge benefit now.

Farmgirlwa

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Don_39

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Guys he's trying to write an article for the average consumer, not techies. Most people go for either iPhone or Android (which means Samsung). Sonys don't sell well in the States among average users.

Ewitte

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
I've been researching lenses on my DSLR the cheap kit ones on a 24MP APSC can typically resolve about 8-9MP. Most of the best ones can get to 14-17. I'm sure its going to be WORSE on a phone. So I think Apple/Samsung were smart to back off a bit to get better performance out.

Harryl_1

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I own Moto X Pure 2015 despite there is no manual -control the prints are pretty amazing But I was Stun seeing my neighbor's LG4 in both results actually that day it sold me out. I keep my Moto X because I love the way performs but for Pro shooting I feel the LG4 is the closed to my Canon 5DMarkI BTW Tow weeks ago I shoot a friend's a low budget food project. In the end the my pall was very impress the deal was 40 dishes value of $400 But end up getting $ 500 that means the quality was very impressive Of course Im not new to food photography My previous projects was with Taco Bell, Burger King , Sysco foods, etc... Yes if you would ask me 1 year ago I will leave you intimidated and walk way. I want to encourage you to try best possible because in the last year or so smartphone technology is very capable I believe by the next 3 years will Take DSLRS by surprise My apology for the long easy my English are not great cause is my third language. My pro gear is Canon MarkI , Mark III , Canon 50mm 1.2, 24-105, 16-35MARKII, Canon 10mm w stabilizer...etc... Right now I take it for serious gigs the reason clients don't accept walking with a Smartphone and few LDS I feel getting fire me on the spot. Again sorry for the long essay Im feeling like little child because I never expect smartphones will be so capable Cheers....:)

AlexBoyKing

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
Let me make this a lot easier for everyone. Every smartphone except Apple. Seriously, what a let down since their 5c. I'm an apple guy all around but I'd rather take the Samsung just cuz of the photo quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.