Best student friendly sound system?

RobotLizard

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
I'm looking for a decent sound system for my room in my new house. Bearing in mind that I'm a student, price is an issue so I really dont want to spend more than £100.

Ideally I'd like some kind of surround sound system, but I realise theyre quite pricey. Really anything with good immersive sound and quality bass because I listen to a lot of hip hop and bassy music. Doesnt need to be super loud, just immersive. Also could really do with wireless connectivity to my phone so I don't need to spend extra on something like a chromecast audio.

Any ideas please let me know. I'm new to the whole speaker scene but would like to build up a great system to last me a while, just need something relatively budget friendly to start me off, so any advice on it is appreciated.

Solution
Anything you get for that price is going not going to allow for future upgrade. It will be a dead end.
I would suggest you get a used receiver and stereo speakers to start. A older non HDMI AV receiver is not expensive. You can add a sub when you have the money or find a used on cheap. Surround speakers can be just about anything you can find used in a thrift shop or Craigslist. A bluetooth receiver is pretty cheap and can be added to any audio system.
if you have a smart tv and a pc. i would look at a sound bar with bluetooth and wifi. for the tv if does not have bluetooth use the digitail audio port for the tv. for your pc pick up a cheap bluetooth 4x usb stick. with the bluetooth stick you can connect your phone to your pc. then use a standard set of speakers or head set.

RobotLizard

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

I'm not really looking for anything for TV as I don't even have one or want one at the moment. This is purely for music. For me there's nothing better than a little smoke of the devil's lettuce ;), followed by music, and I've finally got enough money to buy a decent system so I want something really surround soundy and immersive. Would a soundbar be able to do this? And do you have any recommendations for budget options?

Anything you get for that price is going not going to allow for future upgrade. It will be a dead end.
I would suggest you get a used receiver and stereo speakers to start. A older non HDMI AV receiver is not expensive. You can add a sub when you have the money or find a used on cheap. Surround speakers can be just about anything you can find used in a thrift shop or Craigslist. A bluetooth receiver is pretty cheap and can be added to any audio system.

Solution