Best sub 200 dollar musical production headphones for EDM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kolzach

Estimable
May 24, 2015
I'm a musician that needs a new pair of headphones so I can hear what sounds I'm really making.
I was planning on getting the Sony MDR-V6's, MDR-7506's or maybe even a pair of AKG K 240's as their pretty cheap right now.

I don't know a lot about headphones, but I know for musical production they need to be as accurate as possible, let me know what sub 200 dollar headphones you guys think would be good for EDM production.

Solution
For music production I went for open back headphones to get the best quality sound. Pros are I can hear my wife screaming at me. Cons are everyone hears your headphones.

When I purchased I checked the reviews and settled on the AKG K240 MKII at 55ohms. The low impedance makes them ideal for cell phones, computer, mp3 player, etc.... where you don't have a headphone amp. For the price they are hard to beat.

The AKGs come with straight and curly cables as well as leather and velour cushions. The velour are so comfy. My only gripe is the cables use a mini XLR connector so replacements are harder to find and usually have to come from AKG. Other brands use a standard 3.5mm at the headphones. After heavy use for 4-5 years and...

Kolzach

Estimable
May 24, 2015

What do you mean? will the treble soften out after a while?

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Headphones definitely "break in". The ear pads compress, getting worn into the shape of your head, giving you a better seal and move the drivers slightly towards your ear. My HD800 pads have broken into the shape of my head.

You also get used to the sound. Three years ago when I got my first non garbage pair of headphones (Koss KSC-75), I was like HOLY CRAP I CAN HEAR BASS SO AMAZING AND DAT TREBLE but found the bass to be rather excessive. Today I still listen to a newer pair of KSC-75 that I purchased about three months ago but don't find the bass overwhelming since I've gotten used to hearing bass.

As for the driver breaking in, yes it would physically make sense that would happen but I haven't seen any measurements on the effects burn in on just the drivers.

Anyways...

The 250ohm DT880 will generally be a better choice since the 600ohm version is more so for running off of things like tube amplifiers or gear that produces lots of voltage.

As for the treble spike, sometimes it's actually enjoyable to listen to (for me that is, i'm used to listening to brighter than neutral headphones) but other times it's just painful with badly mastered or the wrong kind of music. It definitely has a spike there though, so it's not a good thing for musical production.

graphCompare.php

Kolzach

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Yeah I think for that reason I'm settling for the K612's. Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know how they are once they get delivered.

Oh, and by the way, if any of you are interested the K7XX's are on MASSDROP right now for 200 dollars.

Kolzach

Estimable
May 24, 2015
The headphones finally arrived today and I can't believe the sound quality, just wow. I figured I'd need an amp with them as I've read from a lot of posts that some people can't get a comfortable listening volume out of them. But for some reason I could blow my ears out with these if I wanted, so I don't know what that's all about. My only complaint with these headphones is that the highs seem to overpower the mids and lows and it's a little fatiguing, but I think that'll sort it's self out after they "break in" a little bit. Overall great headphones, if someone could explain to me or help me figure out why I don't need an amp for these I'd appreciate it.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
The sensitivity of the 612's is 101 deciblels of sound pressure level per volt of input.

The voltage output of your device will determine the volume of your headphones in a nutshell. Your headphones are very sensitive so it doesn't take much to drive them. And the device your using is probably better than something like a plain old cell phone. AKGs are known as fairly sensitive phones which was one reason I choose them myself. I could drive them from my cell phone if desired.

Now volume aside, an external DAC and headphone amp would also give you better sound quality on top of the extra volume.

hmm interesting.. unless akg changed their specs over time akg cans like the k701/q701 used to be pretty power hungry. given that i dont use or listen to akg cans perhaps i missed that and they are now less hungry.. though its still recommended by many to use an amp. i suppose i'll have to dig around a bit more to see whats the current scenario.

given the high sensitivity by specs alone they should be able to be easily driven...

the k612 is not a bassy headphone so will never had superb bass levels. if you want to make them a bit warmer you could certainly try a fiio amplifier which will impart a bit more midbass and bass warmth to the sound stream. or, if you like them as they are you could EQ the treble down a notch with what you have now.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
You could EQ down 6kz to 9khz like 2 or 3 dB if you find them fatiguing. Most of the neutral headphones can sound fatiguing when playing songs with abundance of treble. Can also follow the graph and boost the sub bass a few dB to make the bass levels slightly more accurate.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

Tyll at innerfidelity measures how much power headphones need to reach 90dB SPL. AKG 600 and 700 series headphones have lower sensitivity and need more power than their direct competitors in the price range.

K701 (62Ω) Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.320 Vrms Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.57 mW
K612 (120Ω) 0.352 Vrms 0.99 mW
Sennheiser HD600 (300Ω) 0.230 Vrms 0.17 mW
Beyerdynamic DT880 (250Ω) 0.299 Vrms 0.38 mW

I demoed a K612 in a mini headfi meet last november and it was about 5dB quieter than a HD800 plugged into my JDS Labs C5D

Kolzach

Estimable
May 24, 2015

I was planning on getting either the O2 AMP/ODAC combo or the Shiit stack. I'm also looking at the xDuoo TA-01 DAC/AMP right now.

And yes I'm just driving the headphones with motherboard audio right now.

Kolzach

Estimable
May 24, 2015

I found out why it was a little fatiguing, I had Sound Blaster Cinema 2 on without me knowing (it comes with the MSI mobo's, I got the Z97 Gaming 5), it was boosting the highs a bit too much so I turned it off completely. Does Windows 7 have a built in EQ that I can use? besides the one in windows media player I mean.

no. the eq would be in your sound software (your motherboard sound drivers). there are a few "3rd party" solutions for windows eq but i'm not sure if they work, if they are safe and all the details on them.

o2/odac is good, the magni/modi stack is also great. not sure about xduoo as i've never heard of them. for on the cheap the fiio e10k is a good choice