Best ULTRAPORTABLE laptop...

Bananadude

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
I'm looking to buy an ULTRAPORTABLE laptop, but having a bit of trouble finding exactly the right one for my needs.

Must be small and lightweight and powerful enough to run Photoshop. I use that prog quite a bit, but need to be mobile with it when on the road. I'm not bothered about games.

The THINKPAD X60S has caught my eye, although it's lack of widescreen and max 1024x768 resolution isn't great. Widescreen would be my preference, but most of the other models I've seen (such as Sony, Fujitsu for example) are less powerful than the Thinkpad (and Sony seem quite overpriced for what they are). Plus the X60S has amazing battery life (8+ hours with 8-cell battery). The X60S has a L2400 1.66GHz Core Duo CPU, 1GB RAM and Intel 950 graphics. It's a good spec for my needs I think, save for the monitor resolution.

Are there any models with comparable spec to the X60S that aren't stupidly expensive and have a widescreen monitor/higher resolution? It may that the X60S is my best bet, but I want to be sure if that's the case.

Any advice much appreciated... :)

Take a look at this: Toshiba U205

The X60S seems to get the best reviews in the Ultra portable class.
You could try the Dell XPS M1210, but it's going to be pricey and a little heavier than most other solutions.
Alos look at this: ASUS W5. It has similar specs to the X60S and is a little cheaper. ASUS is a decent company too.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I would probably recommend the Dell XPS M1210 as well, as it has the most punch for its size, but if ultraportability is a concern, you might also want to try the Fujitsu P7230 - very compact, widescreen, 9+ hours battery and lots of features.

I used to own a Fujitsu P1120. It was the smallest laptop anybody I had shown it to had ever seen. I wasn't running anything heavy on it back then, but it was great to take on the road, and it still had the larger 2.5" hard drives. It was based on an old design, but it was still way better as a laptop than even a Sony UX. I also like the Fujitsu P1610, but the 1.8" drives only go to 80GB.

If I had to choose between the Sony UX and the Fujitsu P1610, I would take the Fujitsu in a heartbeat.

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
I've been looking at ASUS and just recently purchased an A8JS from http://www.xoticpc.com

From what I've read, it seems ASUS has many laptops that cater to different groups. Check them out.

Mine (in the mail right now) comes equipped with awesome 1440x900 14.1" screen with a nVidia 7700 vidoe card.

Also, ASUS V2JE just dame out, you might want to check that out too, although it's a bit pricier than the A8JS.