Best way to get surround sound

dirkvs

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I hope you can help me guys. I want to have a surround sound headset(speakers aren't an option), but i don't know what to buy.

Should i buy a virtual or real surround sound headset? Or is it better to buy a good stereo headset and a sound card(or isn't a sound card needed?). I want a good sound quality, but i would really like to have surround sound for my fps games.

I would like to buy a steelseries headset because i already have a keyboard and a mouse from steelseries, but i'm ok with buying other headsets. Till now i was planning to do one of the following things:
Logitech G633
Steelseries arctic 3/5
Steelseries siberia 650
Sound blaster Z with a good stereo headset

I hope I don't need to pay more than €150, but I'm willing to pay up to €250.

Any suggestions?

Solution

joecap

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Surround sound is at least a 5.1 speaker setup. You can't get true surround sound in a headset, but you will get stereo. There are applications that can simulate surround, but it's not true. Anyway, most motherboards come with audio already built in and should be sufficient for what you need. If not, any good PCI sound card should do the trick.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

I really need to make a copy paste for this kind of thread.

There is no such thing as a surround headset, it is marketing garbage.
Surround sound is how you fill a volume with sound, like a room, or theater.
There is no volume to fill when it comes to your headset!

You only have two ears. Stereo sound IS surround sound in regards to a headset. Cramming multiple, low quality, cheap drivers, in a place where a single high quality driver should be, does NOT make it surround at all. There is literally no difference between the sound produced by those multiple speakers, other than that it is lower quality.

there are plenty of examples of this online where you can, with only a stereo headset, clearly hear if something is in front of you or behind you, how far, what angle, even elevation, just like in real life.

Your brain creates the surround bit, not multiple speakers.

Get a high quality set of audio monitors. Audio Technica is the best for the money in my opinion.

Solution

dirkvs

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

So, when playing a FPS game, i will hear the same amount of direction with my logitech USB headset H540 as with a logitech G633?

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Correct! The G633 could actually be worse.