Best way to reflow with a heat gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpycat

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
Hello, I have a laptop with a gpu problem. I know that the best way is to get it to a shop to have them reflow it with proper equipment but i happen to have a heat gun, i also happen to be interested in the process and don't really care about the laptop.
Unless it has absolutely not a chance in being properly reflowed or surviving (like literally under 1%, in which case i just won't repair it its not worth the money or the time) i would like to give it a try just for the experience.
From what i seen by googling and on youtube i just got myself confused, some foil the other parts to not get damaged, some don't care and heat the entire thing, some say that heating the entire thing is essential, some bake it which seems to brutal to me, some leave the heat gun over for minutes, some other for seconds, in the comments they say apply flux but i can't figure out how to apply flux to something that i cant even see the solder and no one ever mentions the temperature, only reliable comment i saw said something for steady 270-ish C for 15 seconds which is hard for a heat gun to get it exactly right and reflow by a heat gun is not a good idea.
So my question is, is there a reliable guide or steps that you came to from experience of a reflow process with a heat gun that has well, the best of the chances that a heat gun reflow can offer, be it 10% to succeed or whatever, since i'm gonna do it i wanna do it the best i can. And out of curiosity how much of a "no" reflow method is the heat gun?
The rework station i have can only reach 480C and has a temp indicator and also has 3 "masks" i can apply to the heat gun, one square, one small tube and one even smaller tube, i guess those are to direct the heat better for more delicate work.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
In my experience with this, it's never been a permanent solution. Works for a while, then had to do it again.

That said, I have never used any flux, foil or kapton tape. I just swirled the heat gun on high over the necessary chips for up to 5 minutes.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
In my experience with this, it's never been a permanent solution. Works for a while, then had to do it again.

That said, I have never used any flux, foil or kapton tape. I just swirled the heat gun on high over the necessary chips for up to 5 minutes.

Solution

Grumpycat

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

Thanks for the reply! do you happen to know the temperature that your heat gun emits when on high?

Grumpycat

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
600C for about 5 minutes? Well it died on 400C for 2 minutes, or something else died, or i didn't connect something right which i doubt thats the case but not worth the time to disassemble and reassemble again as the gpu chip all it has for cooling is that metal thing(which name in english i don't know) which doesn't even connect to the fan and a sticker pad instead of thermal paste, even if it got fixed it would overheat again and soon have the same issue, if it hasn't already been damaged from the years of overheating.
But well doesn't matter as after all the googling and search i came to the conclusion that a reflow from a heat gun almost never lasts, especially done by not a pro. So i guess your first answer that almost never lasts is the solution, while the 600C for 5mins seem brutal to me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.