Best Wi-Fi Routers (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webscorpion

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I think the best Wi-Fi option for a congested environment is a Plume mesh network. They have very innovative logic that will scan channels and change to the least busy channel. They also use the 5 Ghz band to keep the mesh pods communicating with each other and the 2.4Ghz band for all your devices so the mesh doesn't interfere with your endpoints. I live in a condo with about 20 wi-fi networks in competition and since I installed my Plume pods I have had no drops and the only buffering is caused by my ISP or the service I'm using at the time (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) I was disappointed that the Plume network was not reviewed by Tom's.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

We've reached out to Plume several times to obtain review units, but the company has never sent us any.

tonyc035

Honorable
Nov 13, 2016
I'm reading that the Linksys EA7500 is the best mid-range router ($156 on Amazon). However, all this hype about MU-MIMO makes me wonder whether investing in the MU-MIMO routers is worth it since most devices don't support it yet! I don't want to have to update all my wireless devices, even if it's even possible!

billbish3

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Unfortunately the Linksys routers (all, I believe) do not have encrypted data transmission in Guest Mode. You can set a password but the wireless guest will be communicating in the open (plain text) which can be intercepted and read by a bad guy.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I'll echo the recommendation for the Linksys WRT1900ACS -- unless you can find the WRT3200ACM for less, as I did. (Mine's a refurb, purchased direct from Linksys.) Yes, it's big, and it may not fit in well with the décor in every room; but it's fast, reliable, and has a strong signal. You can also replace the stock OS with DD-WRT if you prefer. I usually upgrade routers every three or four years, but this one may be staying around longer.

One advantage the WRT1900ACS has over my WRT3200ACM is its fan=less design. My 3200 is almost dead-quiet -- I have it installed in my living room at present -- but any mechanical device is going to fail eventually. If you keep your router hidden in a hot or poorly-ventilated location, eliminating the need for a fan is a big point to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.