Beware Of The Evil 'Free Public WiFi'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Oooppsss, just got caught 3 days ago, I thought it was my school new wifi network, so Portugal is also on the black list.

And I have SP3 installed....

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
How many people go to hotels and login to "Holiday Inn network" or such. What is to stop a hacker from creating his own radius server and phishing the hotels radius site?

mwbeatty

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]ruh-roh gang, looks like we have to solve the mystery of the zombie networks! quick, someone get the doobie snacks![/citation]

Turns out the zombie was just the sysadmin in disguise trying to scare people away so he could have the bandwidth all to himself.

davidbloomcan

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
In fact, there may be good reasons why XP service pack 3 is not installed. On an older HP Athlon 64 based desktop, I have encountered a fatal conflict between Service Pack 3 and the driver for an older DLink USB attached wireless client. Given the option of installing Service Pack 3 or purchasing a new wireless device, I have been content with Service Pack 2.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I've seen "free public wifi" all over my university for years now. Maybe this explains why that is, since I'm sure a large proportion of the student/faculty body is running on out-of-date Windows XP installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.