Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50X

ZoEn

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
Im looking to buy a new pair of headphones. Im going to use them for music and gaming. I listen to pop and alternative music. The COP+ costs, where i am from, $200, while the m50x costs $220. These two headphones are the only ones being sold that fit my budget, m40x are not being sold. Right now, im leaning towards the COP+ because its cheaper, only drawback for me is the big cups.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
The custom one pro's come with adjustable bass, which is a pretty nice feature if you listen to a wide range of music or don't like bass to drown everything out.

The ATH-M50x are designed to be portable and come with a detachable, interchangeable cable.

ATH-50x if you are going to be going places with your music.

Custom One Prop Plus if you are going to be in one spot for awhile.

ZoEn

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014

I was wondering if the ATH- M50 would also be a good choice. How would it compare? Because it only costs $170.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I'm going to assume you mean the regular ATH-M50 and not the ATH-m50s, which has a straight cable. The regular ATH-M50 with the coiled cable really losses any sort of mobility. You cannot hide a fat coiled cable and it's rather cumbersome. If you can find an ATH-M50s for less than the ATH-M50x, it's worth it. It's really the same headphone minus the interchangeable cord.

ZoEn

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
I bought the m50x. Something i realized is that these forum answers isn't enough to make a decision. Testing the products out and finding one that suits you is essential in buying headphones that can really satisfy you

there is no substitute for listening to a product in person. that is completely true. the best we can do is guess or estimate what you will like based on how you describe your taste or needs or tell you which products to go out and test due to features/requirements matching your needs.

if you had wanted a better answer you should have been more specific as to where you were from, what stores you would buy at, what other uses you had for headphones as well as if an external amplifier was okay or if they needed to be plug and play with most devices unaided.

we also have a forum search feature. i must have covered the m50 over a hundred times so far alone and the custom one pro at least twenty. there are also other options you might have enjoyed.

overall the m50x is not a bad choice if you want something easy to power, a bit bassy and do not mind the small earcups or small soundstage. i own a pair of m50s myself and while not perfect cans (dt770 is better) they are not bad and i enjoy them. most any device can power them easily which is a big plus for on-the-go use.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

This is really only an issue when you don't know what you like. As they say, you have to at least try something to know what you do or don't like. Once you know what you like it becomes much easier to pick the next one.

What did you like / dislike about the ATH-m50x?